Esoteric P03 D03 owners: To clock or not to clock

Hi all again,

I started a post a year ago or so. I was upgrading from the X01 D2 to the P03 / D03. I had lots of questions and got very good feddback and help regarding these units.

Now, after almost a year of using them, Im considering upgrading by adding the G clock to them. Was wondering, how many of you owners of the combo actually use the clock and how many lives just with the two alone.

For those only with the 2 units, is it cos you tried and did not heard any improvement?

For those using it, can u elavorate improvement experienced? Also, did the addition of the clock change the play mode of choice before and after (upsample to DSD, or 176,4, or not upsampling etc)?

Thanks
Eli
eelii08
Zephyr - I run the clock at 176.4, but in my system, I prefer upsampling to DSD but definitely to not like that with the filter on - so I have the filter off. I find that in this configuration, the overall sound is more effortless and relaxed sounding. With the digital filter on, I hear a a little bit of a hard edge at the upper frequencies.
Eeliio08 and Babybear: Thanks for the feedback! I'll give DSD another try, this time without the filter. For the clock, it likes a decent cable but you don't have to over-spend. Something of the cost/quality of a Audience PowerChord "e" or similar will do (IMHO, these are great cords and I am extremely happy with them). I've used much higher cost cords and did not hear a difference for the clock. 75-ohm cables are important and should be of good quality. You don't have to over-spend but do buy sufficiently good quality cords. For this there are many options...
Ok, I spent only 4 days with the clock, cos my dealer had to use it at a series of demos locally. Also due to holidays I could not spend us much time as I would have liked.

I finally did all the listening is DSD, for RBCDs and SACDs. Spent a few hours comparing upsampling modes and DSD was clearly the best option to my ears.

Really my fist impressions as per prior post very much remains. More detail, more "clear" sound if you like. Voices, textures.... Per instance great with classical music. But something strange. With Jazz per instance, I felt I was missing a bit of... bass ?? Maybe it was the extra detail. Maybe changing BNC cables from what I use normally had something to do. I don't now...

Thing is, that now, after 2 days without clock, I don't know what to think. I have spoken to the dealer and he will let me borrow it again for a longer period once he is done with the demos, and listen to it with more time and same cables. As of now, I'm not ready to make the change still...

Does not make any sense the less bass thing, so will try with more time and keeping all the rest equal. WIll also put the clock in a separate rack space and not in top on the CDP. Who knows...

Anyway, we will see.

Best
Eli