Esoteric P03 D03 owners: To clock or not to clock

Hi all again,

I started a post a year ago or so. I was upgrading from the X01 D2 to the P03 / D03. I had lots of questions and got very good feddback and help regarding these units.

Now, after almost a year of using them, Im considering upgrading by adding the G clock to them. Was wondering, how many of you owners of the combo actually use the clock and how many lives just with the two alone.

For those only with the 2 units, is it cos you tried and did not heard any improvement?

For those using it, can u elavorate improvement experienced? Also, did the addition of the clock change the play mode of choice before and after (upsample to DSD, or 176,4, or not upsampling etc)?

Thanks
Eli
eelii08

Showing 2 responses by zephyr24069

For RBCD playback in Dual-AES configuration (not taken to DSD), I've found 176.4 clocking and 176.4 up-sampling is the best combination with my stack. I tried 88.2 and while it is good, I tend to like 176.4 better. BTW...I also tend to run with the digital filter set to On. I also utilize 176.4 clocking for DSD playback (native DSD for SACD).

Has anyone found that RBCD->DSD is superior for up-sampling?
Eeliio08 and Babybear: Thanks for the feedback! I'll give DSD another try, this time without the filter. For the clock, it likes a decent cable but you don't have to over-spend. Something of the cost/quality of a Audience PowerChord "e" or similar will do (IMHO, these are great cords and I am extremely happy with them). I've used much higher cost cords and did not hear a difference for the clock. 75-ohm cables are important and should be of good quality. You don't have to over-spend but do buy sufficiently good quality cords. For this there are many options...