For crying out loud

If you have the option, and you haven't done so, try turning off the display's on your digital gear. I know that I tried this years ago and, discerning no difference, concluded that this was just one of those anal audio things. Well, my system has evolved since then and I accidentally turned off the display on my Modwright Sony. I am now realizing improved definition and detail, voices are more natural, instruments have a more realistic timbre, images are better defined, and everything emerges from a blacker background. I really feel like a nincompoop. Here I am rolling tubes, shifting footers and stuff, and all along, a significant improvement was a push of the button away.
phaelon
>>10-17-10: Tiggerfc
>>"Is this something inherent in the circuit topology? Is this something that could be avoided but it was easier to design the PCB with the display in-line with other circuits so they added, yet, another switch that is a sound killer to turn off the sound killing display?"

Tigger - I suppose most manufacturers don't believe there's any reason to change it because they don't believe it will make a difference in the sound.
FWIW - I don't believe it either. I've tried it on several of my players (Arcam Alpha 7, Alpha 8SE, Jolida JD100A, Rega Apollo) and have never heard a difference. Not saying that's the case for everyone, just saying I have no reason to believe it's so.
Like some of you when I first used my remote to turn the display on and off I thought I heard no difference. So one day I had turned the display off and left it off for several days. I had forgot it really. Then when I turned it back on to see the time remaining it sounded different. Couldn't put my finger on it right away. A few min later I turned the display back off and there is was. A blacker background. Not by a lot mind you. I'll take any slight improvement in my system especially when it cost is the time to push a button.

Me personally I have always liked to see the time remaining of the song playing but I'll take a slight improvement and just press a button when I do want to see the time remaining.
For crying out loud, turn the power off instead, not just the display. Not just the background but everything else is quieter and blacker.
The 'display' at a live event usually makes the experance more enjoyable. I have yet to see track numbers and remaining time at a concert, although I wouldn't be supprised if it was a Bijork concert!!!