The CD player is dead.......

I am still waiting for someone to explain why a cd player is superior to storing music on a hard drive and going to a dac. Probably because you all know it's not.

Every cd player has a dac. I'll repeat that. Every cd player has a dac. So if you can store the ones and zeros on a hard drive and use error correction JUST ONCE and then go to a high end dac, isn't that better than relying on a cd player's "on the fly" jitter correction every time you play a song? Not to mention the convenience of having hundreds of albums at your fingertips via an itouch remote.

If cd player sales drop, then will cd sales drop as well, making less music available to rip to a hard drive?
Maybe, but there's the internet to give us all the selection we've been missing. Has anyone been in a Barnes and Noble or Borders lately? The music section has shown shrinkage worse than George Costanza! This is an obvious sign of things to come.....

People still embracing cd players are the "comb over" equivalent of bald men. They're trying to hold on to something that isn't there and they know will ultimately vanish one day.

I say sell your cd players and embrace the future of things to come. Don't do the digital "comb over".
devilboy
Pettyofficer - A lot of words with a little or no sense plus unnecessary name calling. Stop using, man.
MP3 as perfect sound forever? Here we go again! I know that History has a tendency to repeat itself, but for crying out loud! Some of us are sick and tired of going in circles for Decades! Enough already! Not another Music Storage perfect sound forever, not another MP3 perfect sound forever, not another Downloading perfect sound forever! Not another WAV, FLAC, Loss-less Compression whatever perfect sound forever! Should I continue forever? Please, I pray you get the point by now! Why must I go through this, and you are still not convinced? Here's one, how about the anything but CD perfect sound forever? There you go, CD has been eliminated! How about the anything but LP perfect sound forever. Anything but SACD perfect sound forever-ditto DVD Audio? Will this possibly provide enough convenience for everyone? Maybe what we need is a big fat syrenge so you can inject your Music perfect sound forever!
Does that make your convenience juices flow? I thought it would.
O-Kay, Kijanki, I called you Mr.Technobabble. I take it back and apologize. You still don't get the point though! What I describe doesn't make any sense because what I desribe is exactly what you and the Computer Industry plan to do with the CD Format! Of course it doesn't make any sense, that is my point! You and your Industry are taking us down the exact same road when CD was first invented. You ever get the feeling of Deja-vue? Those LP's just had to go! Now it is the CD's that just have to go! Are we getting anything in exchange for all of this besides a downgrading of performance? Your right, it doesn't make any sense! I'm sick and tired of going in circles. What is this, Groundhog Day? What is so bizarre is that you aren't even aware that you are going in circles, scratch that, you are in extreme denial that you are dragging the rest of us in circles. Enough is enough, you are not getting the CD Format till you grow up-Period! You can't have it!
Now go cry to your mommy about it!
Pettyofficer - I don't know if music or computer industries are going to do anything with CD format. My impression is that they don't care. I like CDs and buy them but use computer server just for the convenience. I use Apple Lossless format (ALAC) and program that can convert any existing format (except SACD) and most likely future formats. I have two backups and they tend not to fail when in storage.

No matter how loud we scream for quality - nobody listens. CD sales are lower since CDs are way too expensive. Many people buy MP3 downloads instead for less. Also, as I said before, 90% of customers don't care about quality. I don't like it - just stating the fact. Even mixing and music compression suggests targeting boom boxes or small stereos. My small radio at work has hard time playing piano when it brings energy in lower registers. Can you imagine what would happen if they would record it without compression (piano has about 96dB dynamics). It almost calls for two separate formats - one for popular use and one for audiophiles - or if compression is necessary why it is not built into radios or TV sets. I had big hopes for SACD but they killed it.

I don't know what's going to happen but I suspect that they not going to make 24/192 Master Tapes available for downloading in view of extended piracy in many countries. CD player won't die - just computer playback of CDs will be more popular.
Funny, I was just wondering what happened to PettyOfficer. Back, and in good form! :) John