Wyred DACS

They released the final specs for their DACs last week. Shipping this month. Anybody order? The DAC-1 is quite reasonable, but not upgradable to the asynch-USB, which the DAC-2 has. The DAC-2 also has the I2S but I don't know what it's gonna connect to.
cutterfilm
Cutterfilm I asked about cables because the W4S responds very well to good cables. I'd at least try one of these VDH toslinks out. It would be The choice since it's the only high end toslink I know that can be had with a mini toslink at one end, and it's not very expensive and it's been universally lauded for it's exceptional SQ. http://www.bluebirdmusic.com/Van%20den%20Hul%20AV%20Cables.htm
I have been living with the Wyred 4 Sound DAC1 now for several months. My system consists of Magnepan 1.7s, Bada hybrid tube preamp and solid state amp, Netgear 9150 music and video server and Xindak cables. Total investment less than $6,000.

I recently visited a gentleman who has MBL 111E speakers ($30K) and top of the line MBL monoblocks along with analog front end. While it was very impressive, the Magnepan 1.7s powered by the Wyred 4 Sound DAC1 give his system a run for the money at 1/20 of the cost.

I recently tried some 96 khz/24 bit downloads and was blown away by the sound quality. Very 3 dimensional. I had replaced a Pacific Sounds Modified DAC with the Wyred 4 Sound DAC1 and, while the Pacific Sounds DAC was an over performer, it is bested by the Wyred 4 Sound DAC in detail, space around instruments and attack.

I am shocked at times how realistic the system sounds. And much of the credit goes to the Wyred 4 Sound DAC1 which is truly a musical DAC and well worth its price.
Erikminer,
The DAC is using a Shunyata Diamondback power cord, a Kimber USB cable, and a Blue Jeans optical cable. The Blue Jeans didn't cost a lot. So far it sounds good. Over time I'll keep A-B-ing it with the USB. Not sure I'm gonna put more money into cables right now. But thanks for the suggestion. When I'm listening to music, it'll mostly be through the USB.

Also, I have listened to some hi-res audio. The Raising Sand record sounds great in 24/96. I've compared 16/44 to 24/44 for some of the Beatles catalog. The 24 sounds superior. Not sure if they're mastered quite the same though.
I will give my brief comments on DAC2 after only 20 hrs of listening, well short of the recommended 100-200 hrs burn-in. I will preface my comments by stating I approached this audition with healthy skepticism an inexpensive DAC like this, so loaded with features, from a relatively new company could play with the big boys.

This DAC is so much better than it has any right to be for its price -- or even 3x its price -- I am wondering if mfr. misread the market. Even though it is still relatively raw, I am enjoying listening to it, my most important criterion for new equipment. It will replace my beloved Dodson 218 (unless I find something significantly better that is not several multiples of DAC2 price) and while in certain respects it does not (yet) equal the Dodson, I think in the end it may exceed it, and the added facilities like USB input (although no BNC) certainly make it a more contemporary option.

Note that so far, I am using only AES/EBU input set at fixed level, with transport a CEC TL-1X modded by RAM. DAC is playing through my Wyetech Opal pre, so cannot comment on how DAC2 operates as pre. Analog output IC's are Stealth Indras. Cannot comment yet on USB input sound.

Soundstage and dimensionality are excellent. Quite startling holographic sound. DAC also is so quiet I find myself noticing just how quiet it is; counterintuitive, I know, but true nonetheless. And the vocals are the most natural and realistic I have ever heard on my system. I was listening to Tift Merrit's new CD last night (excellent, BTW)and her virtual presence in the room sent chills up my spine. Highs are smooth but have not yet fully opened up; so far good enough. Same with bass, deep enough but still a bit loose. But nothing about the sound bothers me, and as I said, I enjoy it immensely. Have not yet played around with anti-resonance or vibration tweaks, or changed digicable or PC (Stealth Sextet and Nordost Valhalla), so cannot comment on whether that would improve sound.

My kids like its looks but I think it is engagingly unattractive, but very solidly built. One gripe I have is that the instruction manual is pretty weak (at least to me) on how to adjust the settings for the multiple inputs. I stumbled into the fixed setting for AES/EBU and coax and am not sure I could replicate it if I had to. They also do not provide an illustration of the rear inputs, but any experienced audiophile can figure it out . The remote is convenient and works well.

All in all, a very promising product that so far seems to be one of the greatest steals in audio history, and I have been at this mania for 40 years.

Will report further as DAC2 seasons.

N.B. I auditioned a SONY 5400 a few months ago. IMHO, it cannot be mentioned in same sentence as DAC2, the latter is so much better.

Neal
I bit the bullet on this today. Was going to go for the DAC 1, but then decided I might as well be ready for the future and hi res.
I'm gonna move my Classe' cap 151 integrated into the sysetm as well and we'll see what the VAndersteen 1C's can do.
Can't wait for that DAC 2 to arrive!