Sub $500 CDP

I'm one of these people, who economically have to watch their budget (big time), as I don't make the same money as I used to. In the recent months I've had to sale both my NAD C542 and my Jolida JD-100 (that one "broke my heart"). Anyway, I'm left with a 90's era Onkyo DX-C540 changer which is "alright" (btw, for those you who might be wanting to recommend a DAC, do realize the only digital output on that player is an "opitical" one). But nevertheless, I want something better, something that will get me somewhere close to what I was getting with my NAD C542 and Jolida JD-100. Now the thing is, this will probably be my last CDP purchase, so I'm not really interested in buying used. So what's new out there, that's worth a listen (and maybe a purchase) in the sub $500 catagory? I'm not an audiophile, but someone who enjoys hearing music that sounds well. I guess what I'm asking for is a player, that you might recommend to your non-audiophile friends, that wanted a good sounding player.
cleaneduphippy
The ps1 is interesting...it has to be the most 'low tech' sounding of all the cd players i've heard. By that I mean there is not a ton of detail and the mids are very nice, many people liken it analog sounding. It has a pleasing sound, though I also found it lacking a bit in dynamics. I still have mine just to throw in the mix when I feel like it.

The problem is that it has a puny power supply so it needs to be paired with a decent active preamp and/or high sensitivity speakers. It also likes to break. For $30 on ebay, though, it's worth trying. I suggest looking for a wireless controller and upgraded C7 power cord if you go that route.
I hear ya about the Jolida. I picked up a used one a few months back for $400, and it's been great (with a good PC and the right tubes to compliment your system, and ears). If I ever lost mine, I would just find another used one. With all the different CDP's and dac's sounding so different from one another, it's gonna be almost impossible to predict and duplicate the sound that you already know works for you. One man's audio nirvana is another man's listener fatigue.
Theres a Cabmridge Audio 640 on here for $349.00, new in the box from Spearitsound,an authorized internet dealer. That may be worth looking into.
Since the transport is the most likely candidate to fail, maybe buy something cheap but decent like the Oppo 980H for $170 new and buy a very good used DAC for around $250 - $300. Add something like an Apogee Wyde Eye digital cable and you're good to go, and the added bonus is you'll be able to play DVD-A and SACD through the Oppo as well if you have or want to try any of those. Just another way to go...

Best of luck.
Like to hear folks' thoughts on a PS2 player (cd/dvd) or a PS3 (BR/CD/DVD) with respect to this thread. THe PS2 is $100 and is reputed to be a good player and people rave about the PS3 (at $299) as a BR player. Is the music performance below standard?