Sub $500 CDP

I'm one of these people, who economically have to watch their budget (big time), as I don't make the same money as I used to. In the recent months I've had to sale both my NAD C542 and my Jolida JD-100 (that one "broke my heart"). Anyway, I'm left with a 90's era Onkyo DX-C540 changer which is "alright" (btw, for those you who might be wanting to recommend a DAC, do realize the only digital output on that player is an "opitical" one). But nevertheless, I want something better, something that will get me somewhere close to what I was getting with my NAD C542 and Jolida JD-100. Now the thing is, this will probably be my last CDP purchase, so I'm not really interested in buying used. So what's new out there, that's worth a listen (and maybe a purchase) in the sub $500 catagory? I'm not an audiophile, but someone who enjoys hearing music that sounds well. I guess what I'm asking for is a player, that you might recommend to your non-audiophile friends, that wanted a good sounding player.
cleaneduphippy

Showing 1 response by tholt

The ps1 is interesting...it has to be the most 'low tech' sounding of all the cd players i've heard. By that I mean there is not a ton of detail and the mids are very nice, many people liken it analog sounding. It has a pleasing sound, though I also found it lacking a bit in dynamics. I still have mine just to throw in the mix when I feel like it.

The problem is that it has a puny power supply so it needs to be paired with a decent active preamp and/or high sensitivity speakers. It also likes to break. For $30 on ebay, though, it's worth trying. I suggest looking for a wireless controller and upgraded C7 power cord if you go that route.