Just got the PS Audio Perfectwav DAC -- Amazing

For the last year my system has consisted of the Slim Devices Transporter (Transport + DAC) -> Bel Canto Ref1000 -> Anthony Gallo Ref 3.1

I listen to all my music digitally (lossless/flac). I was very happy with my original system but when the Perfectwave DAC came out I was intrigued. For quite a while I debated between the PW and keeping the transporter or modding it via Modwright.

I ended up getting the PW and though I can't compare it to a modded transporter, it blows the stock transporter out of the water. I should note that since the network bridge isnt out for the PW, I am currently streaming music via the transporter -> coaxial out (spdif) -> PW.

I have only listened for ~5 hours so far, but things I have noticed right away is much cleaner/tighter bass. The low end is so much more accurate than it was before. When comparing, the transporter sounded very muddy (even though at the time I though it was quite good). The mids and highs are tighter as well. The separation has improved quite a bit as well. I have immediately noticed that the loudness of different instruments is wider spread than listening to the same songs on the transporter.

Hope this helps! If anyone has any questions about the PW or the transporter I will try my best to answer them.
danyal711
I for one can clearly hear the loss of detail if, on occassion, I use the digital volume control built in to my MW transporter.
The digital volume controls on the squeezebox work by changing the bits. In other words, there is some digital re-sculpting of the signal, and it's lossy.

Supposedly, it gets worse as you attenuate more and more, and I don't know at what level it is "still OK".

I don't know if the Transporter does the same thing, but I would be surprised if it didn't.

Hence the standard recommendation to let some other device do the volume attenuation. Yes, those are lossy too--but in an analog way, and that's usually better by comparison.

Before passing judgement on the DACs, you could insert a preamp--any preamp, probably!--between the DACs and the amp and then do some a/b testing. The difference you have been hearing between the two units may go away, or become a different difference; hopefully, in both cases, you will hear them play better.
I too have been enjoying the new PWD. It is more smooth and airy than any DAC I have thus far encountered, yet its ability to retrieve detail is exceptional; this all right out of the box via coax/squeezebox Duet. Once the Bridge device becomes available, we should be able to hear what the PWD is really capable of.

I've been reading some great things about other new digital gear too (such as the new Meridian CD and the Berkeley Alpha DAC), but they are all much more expensive than the Perfect Wave devices - which makes the PW gear a pretty good bargain. Maybe not the next “big thing” to shatter all previous digital audio protocols (as marketing hype and general consumer hype often tend to extol), but the PWD is definitely something special, and at only $3,000 (a steal compared to some of the other gear listed in the five-figures) it is definitely worthy of anyone’s audition.
Yah, the bridge will definitely be interesting. Right now I have my PW hooked up via spdif coaxial to the transporter which is doing the streaming. I also briefly tried the PWs USB port but havent messed with it long enough to compare it to the spdif.
congratulation's on your PW DAC Danyal. have had my duo for about 3 weeks and it's still blowing me away. incredibly enjoyable!.

i'm planning on trying my PWT/PWD without a preamp too. will be upgrading my krell integrated too separates down the road. would like to loose the preamp if it sounds better?.

has anyone done comparisons with/without a preamp? would love to hear your thoughts.

cheers