Can even a Novice hear differences in Sound Qualit

Just wanted to relate an experience I recently had with a friend of mine. Those that have read my Threads before, have heard me wax enthusiastically about a DIANA KRALL-The Look of Love-DVD Audio Disk. The Recording has a Multi-Channel Surround Sound version Recorded in 24-bit/96 kHz. The Disk is being played through a Pioneer DV-58AV Universal Player, connected to a SpaceTechLab A-102 Vacuum Tube Headphone Amp, Driving a pair of Grado RS-1 Headphones. Only having 2-Channel capability, the Pioneer can Downmix the Multi-Channel version to two. A 65 year old friend of mind, not an Audiophile with limited hearing, was given a chance to listen to this Recording. His jaw had dropped to the floor. After listening for five minutes, he took the Headphones off and said "why don't they make all of them sound as good"? This Man was unimpressed with the multiple 2-Channel SACD/2-Channel Hi-Rez DVD-Audio Disks that he has heard on this Pioneer. The only thing that I can say is "out of the mouth of Babes...."! Sorry to keep harping on the point, but I believe that this is the only solution to the lack of Harmonic Content on all 2-Channel Digital Recordings, no matter the sampling rate. I also believe that it is the only solution to closing the gap of Harmonic Content between Analog and Digital, minus the ticks and pops. It would be a damn shame to lose it!
pettyofficer
What is your point, Dgarretson, of even trying to ride any false peaks or summit, with a 500 Lb. weight on your back? A 500 Lb. weight of-CD-SACD-DVD-Audio Formats dragging you down! Your solution is a $10,000.00 Bike to handle the extra load, we dare not even concider any other possible solution, gotta protect our ego and bragging rights of our $10,000.00 personal Moneypit at all costs, even at the expensive cost of Sound Quality! Am I reading this book correctly?
Cajunpepe, do you have a serious prejudice problem, trying to fit all people into your own broad brush perceptions, even those that you have never met or don't even know. All of those Old Guys (insert any minority) are all the same, even the ones that you haven't met! I do take your pigeon-hole-ing seriously, knowing that there must be some other serious character flaw that must explain it! I suppose that all Old Guys are supposed to wear a white T-shirt,plaid shorts, black socks, and sandals, and I still can't understand why this Man would treat you with such contempt! Perhaps someone needs to draw you a picture of your own image in a mirror, and have you take a serious look at it!
Life can be very short, for the fool who drops 10-20 thousands of dollars on a Stereo System, in a vain attempt for a slight improvement on a severely flawed and damaged Format! Lets add some more zero's on this amount, on our next System, in a vain attempt to make MP3 sound as good (sic) as CD/SACD/DVD-Audio. There is certainly some ego, and bragging rights, to be squeezed out of this endeavor, and if the rest of us gets screwed with the Sound Quality of MP3, too bad! MP3 is good enough, let them eat Dogs__t! Just because not everyone can afford Hundreds of thousands of dollars in Equipment, for a slight improvement in MP3, tough s__t! I suppose that some of us can afford a third Mortgage! This seems like dejavue all over again, like the day that CD was officially released, ever wonder why? How dare we even concider any improvement in any Format, and voiding the necessity of spending Tens of thousands on Equipment Hardware Upgrade Band-aids for a severely flawed Format! I must be out of my mind, to even concider the garbage in side of this equation, of course I have Money to burn compensating on the garbage out! Life is too short- to be burning Money this way- and that is a serious problem, Cajunpepe! With Audiophile friends like these, who needs greedy Recording Industry Enemies?
The only issue I have, is understanding the principle of, Garbage in-Garbage out! It is a principle that is sooooo simple, even a Cave Man can understand it! Oh-My-God, I never even realized who I was talking to! How was I supposed to know that you guys still existed? No wonder you guys are so frustrated with your Car Insurance, and your Stereo's! Now I understand, it explains sooo much on sooo many levels! It is like trying to explain Quantum Physics to a Neanderthal, no-wait-I didn't mean to say it that way! I know you guys are sensitive, don't get mad! Just trying to use some Stone-age humor, no-wait-that didn't come out right either! Awww-I give up! The Hell with it! I suppose now we know why you never need a peticure, my knuckle dragging friend!
My only real issue, Pepe, is that as long as you are dragging yourself down(and whatever bodily appendage along with it), stop dragging me down with you! Have you got it, my soon to be extinct Neandophile friend, not to be extinct soon enough!
That also goes for any other Extreme Masochistic, Self- degratiating, So-called Intellectual Neandophile out there as well. Your days are numbered, you will soon be extinct, time for you to evolve! I suggest that you start trying to develop into a more complicated life form, one that actually recognizes. and appreciates improved Sound Quality with better Formats! Your knuckle dragging, is dragging the
evolution of the whole Human Race down to a slow crawl! If you don't want to move on, then get the Hell out of the way of the rest of us!
In case anyone is interested, I have just sent an E-mail to Matt Graber, point of contact for Capitol Mastering at Capitol Studios, Hollywood, CA. You know, the place where the DIANNA KRALL: THE LOOK OF LOVE DVD-Audio Recording was mastered. I was just inquiring about the Record Mastering Process used, and if any more Artist Releases were planned in the same Format. You say, why would such an important and busy Man even bother to respond, well my Neandophile friends, I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt, and find out for myself. Us more evolved, and complex Life Forms like to keep our possibilities, and options open. It is how we learned to change and adapt, instead of remaining stagnate to the point of extinction. If you prefer to drag your knuckles off of the ground, and log in for a response, that is your choice! If you prefer to continue to de-evolve with your MP3 plugged into your ear, I will be sure to dig up your bones and put them on display in a Museum!
One more thing, as long as we are on the Evolution subject. It is obvious that many on this Thread, have sold their soul for the sake of De-Evolving Format Sound Quality to its lowest common denominator. This goes against the Nature of things, since Evolution is a process that more advanced and complex life forms are developed, not de-constructed. It is obvious that the Evolution of Format Sound Quality is being de-constructed, this will eventually have disasterous results. Either a Species tries to stay ahead of the Evolution Curve, or it simply coasts along and begins to lag far behind. What happens from this Stagnate or even reversal of advancement, well, just ask the Neanderthals or the Dinosaurs. Oh, wait, they are no longer around to ask, there it is! Extinction is never pleasant, and I simply cannot make it any more pleasant for you! You want to De-Evolve or De-Construct the Evolution of Format Sound Quality with ever more worse sounding Formats, you can get away with this for a while. Eventually, Mother Nature will catch up to you and shake you out of your complacency, or make you regret you ever existed! De-Evolution makes no sense, and will not work! How can I convince you that walking on all fours again (CD,SACD,DVD-Audio,MP3), is really a bad Idea? Sound Quality, like all things, must advance and Evolve. You go against Mother Nature at your own risk (EXTINCTION)! Survival of the fittest, is never a matter of convenience, and Extinction is never convenient!