External DAC and Theta Casablanca II

greetings,

i'm thinking of adding an external DAC in front of my Theta Casablanca II (w/Superior DACs). Just wondering how far up one would have to go to exceed the performance of the Theta Superior DACs...

$400 CambridgeAudio DACMagic
$750 PS Audio DLIII
$1,000 Benchmark DAC1
$1,800 Bryston
$2,500 Weiss

I know theta makes great stuff, but the DACs in my CBII have some yers on them, and things improve so rapidly in the digital side... just wondering if anyone has done what I'm thinking of, what results they found, and how far up one has to go to to exceed the performance of the CBII Superior DACs.

Many thanks,
Scott
128x128srosenberg
Hey Raks,
Wow that's very interesting. Hey if the Sonics are better using the Compi Dacs that's all that matters. I actually looked at the Compi before acquiring the Esoteric. It's a top notch player especially for Redbook! My turntable setup is: Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono preamp (using NOS tubes) into the Gen 8. I'm using the digi out card in the CB3 to control the speaker levels. Only reason why I have that configuration is because I've integrated the Gen 8 into my entire system. I use the Dac section of the gen 8 for my HT as the L/R channels and the Cb's extreme dac and superior 2 dac for the remaining channels. This way I can eliminate the need for two separate systems. I have used the analog section in the CB3 for my turntable before I got the Gen 8 with the setting to Analog direct with excellent results. I'd high recommend anyone trying this if they had a need for pure analog.
Stick70... You sure know your way around Theta. I sincerely want to thank you for sharing your expert knowledge about what’s possible with Theta. Your comments about the Analog Direct mode tweaked my system to the point that the “better speaker monkey” is now on the shelf… at least for the time being. Your system is incredible. Does Theta have a picture of you on their “Hall of Fame Wall”?
Hey Raks,

Thanks for those kind words. Glad I could help. Enjoy your newly tweaked system!!
I was blown away a few months ago, with Foobar playing (thru USB) into an Empirical Audio USB to SPDIF Converter, which in turn fed a Theta GenVII.

Bettered an AR CD player by FAR (to my ears)
i know this thread is a bit dated, but since i recently answered the question i was originally posting, i figured i'd revive it in case anyone else was curious..

A friend of mine generously loaned me his Cambridge Audio DACMagic to compare to the DACs in my Casablanca (Superior). To test, I ran an analogue input from the DACMagic and a digital input directly from the same source to the Casablanca II. All that was required to hear the difference was switching inputs on the Casablanca, done right from my listening chair. The DACMagic in all areas, save bass, was superior. The bass from the Theta was tighter and more powerful, but otherwise, the DACMagic won the day.

i went in this not knowing what to expect, but in the end, the answer was clear. DAC tech has come a long way since the CBII was introduced.