External DAC and Theta Casablanca II

greetings,

i'm thinking of adding an external DAC in front of my Theta Casablanca II (w/Superior DACs). Just wondering how far up one would have to go to exceed the performance of the Theta Superior DACs...

$400 CambridgeAudio DACMagic
$750 PS Audio DLIII
$1,000 Benchmark DAC1
$1,800 Bryston
$2,500 Weiss

I know theta makes great stuff, but the DACs in my CBII have some yers on them, and things improve so rapidly in the digital side... just wondering if anyone has done what I'm thinking of, what results they found, and how far up one has to go to to exceed the performance of the CBII Superior DACs.

Many thanks,
Scott
128x128srosenberg
Going to school on the above Posts about Theta’s Analog Direct mode by-passing the Extreme dac’s on my Casablanca II, I switched things around so I'd have one of the front buttons configured to play CD's in the Analog Direct mode (single ended analog connection). Sooooooo... now I've got buttons configured to play CD's in Analog Direct mode, Stereo mode via AES/EBU digital, and Stereo mode via single ended analog.

Before I went through the riggers of reconfiguring one of the buttons, I played around by just switching the mode on the single ended analog connection from Stereo to Analog Direct. What I heard intrigued me enough to take the next step.

After setting all the levels to match, I was really surprised to hear that there was a substantial improvement with the dictated Analog Direct configuration compared against what I hear when I just change modes from Stereo to Analog Direct.

The dedicated Analog Direct configuration was night and day better. I’ve had this itch to upgrade my Usher BE 718’s, and the itch didn’t get any better after hearing the Focal BE 1007’s. I walked out of the showroom wondering if it was the room… the mega money front end… or the Focal’s. I had myself pretty convinced the Focal’s were the way to go, until today. Bottom-line, Theta’s Analog Direct mode made cymbals sound much better… tightened the base… and produced smack you in the face dynamics. The moral of this saga is to suggest that anyone that hasn’t tried Theta’s Analog Direct mode for 2 channel, should give it a try.
thanks for the update raks. you guys are pushing me to finally let go of my old casanova and dive into a casablanca. it is really holding me back.
Raks, Are the DACs in your CDP that much better than the DAC's in the CB3's? I would agree the analog section is very good for an HT processor but the extreme DAC's would kill most CDP's and or DVD players. I used the CB's analog section for my turntable setup and preformed very well. I use an Esoteric UX3pi for my universal player and found the DACs in this player comes very close to the extremes.
Recently, I decided to introduce tubes into my 2 channel system to obtain a warmer sound. I finally decided to go with a tubed DAC to go in between my Theta transport and my Theta CB3. This way, I get to keep all the functions of the crossovers, but still get the tubed sound by going direct into the Theta's analog inputs. I'm currently debating whether to go with the Predac or the Kora Hermes II. Both have their good attributes-just have to decide which one. There is no doubt this will work those of you whom have questioned it. The CB3 is very versitille and a great 5.1 - 7.1 processor. When I get hooked up and running, I will give you a review. Anyone care to recommend Predac over the Kora or visa-versa? Both have great reviews. The Kora has xlr outs, but the Predac has a "tubiness" control for adjusting the "warmth"
Stick70... I use the Theta Compli which is a universal CD, DVD, SACD & etc. I seriously question whether the dac's in the Compli are anywhere close to the Extreme dac's in my Casablanca II. All I can tell you is by-passing the II's dac's made my system sound far more transparent with greater dynamics. With the Analog Direct connection it's like I took a blanket off my speakers. Try switching the mode on you turntable from Stereo to Analog Direct and let us know what you think.