Vibration Control

Why do solid state audio electronics with no moving parts need or benefit from vibration control? 

It makes perfect sense that turntables, CD transports, R2R tape decks, loudspeakers & tubed electronics (w/ potentially micro phonic tubes) might all benefit from various methods of vibration control or mitigation but I don’t see why anything else would. Any thoughts??

jonwolfpell

Last week I began replacing cheap vibration device under all my kit, including speakers (which I did last) with Vera-Fi LLC (VeriBlack Holes) VBHs ($199/4). I started with just my Audiolab 6000 CDT, placing one directly under the spindle and was amazed, I then put them under my EVS 1200 amp (based on dual mono ICEpower AS 1200 modules). That was a head scratcher as at first the sound was flattened/rolled off: ~ 10 minutes later everything was fine again> Could it be the VBHs needed to settle under the much heavier amp? Next my Audio Alchemy DDP-1 (DAC/Pre) a definite thumbs up. I also have the optional AA PS 5 outboard power supply, similarly amazing improvement as was the transport. Closing out (well sort of) I placed 2 each under the fronts of my Emerald Physics 3.4 open baffle speakers, but ran out of gas (76 yo) and haven’t yet added the remaining 2 to the back of the speakers. I did a review which you might be interesting in finding. I do need to add more comments after listening to Tony Bennett and Friends vol1, Eagles Hell Freezes Over on Hotel California (IMP Joe Walsh’s guitar is the best version of all their albums) and sounded spectacular, as did the rest of the album. Finally, last night Jay Leonhart Salamander Pie DMP

HTH

jasonbourne71

"Hearsay belief not scientifically validated."  Not so fast...

At CAF many years ago, I passed by a vendor demonstrating arched-wood isolation devices that were sold to fit under stereo component's feet.  These devices were the same type of laminated-wood product that Fank Lloyd Wright designed into trusses to support the roofs of buildings.

The vendor also had a microphone that was attached to a PC and used graphic display software so that I could see, in real-time, 3D (two dimensions + color) the transmitted sound frequency and intensity of the noise in the hallway, my voice and my knuckle tapping on the stand. 

Although I did not buy the product, the apparatus clearly showed how effective the wood-arcs were at mitigating sound transmission.  100% scientific.

Sorry, but lack of experience does not evoke 'Hearsay'.

Regards,

@inagroove    +1    Vibration control products can be very hit or miss making many  skeptical or just lazily calling them snake oil. 

Electricity establishes vibration on all circuits, capacitors, transformers, transistors, resistors, and parts. You cannot stop vibrations from taking place if using electricity or man-made power sources. 

Sound is Vibration. You will never destroy, isolate, decouple, or terminate vibrations, particularly in a vibrating musical environment. Once you get past that reality, the fears of vibration become less of a concern as the initial vibrations provide the dynamics and harmonic layers we seek as listeners. 

In audio, vibration has become more of a fear than understanding. You are in a musical environment where sound is present. The speakers vibrate, electronics, equipment racking, structural angles and surfaces, and everything else, including the room develop resonance caused by vibrations. 

Resonance clogs all signal pathways such as electrical, electro-mechanical, and acoustic. Mechanical grounding establishes a path for resonance to evacuate the equipment in real time to Earth’s ground. Equipment Operational Efficiency is the result. Effortless operation, volume increases, and increased musical qualities are easily heard when operational efficiency is presented. 

Having an independent third party do thermal imaging testing is one way to prove this hypothesis yields scientific merits. Solid-state, valves, or hybrids display a difference in operation via temperature reduction. The tests will be published when finally completed supported by written opinions from leading engineers. The costs incurred for testing of this type are quite high. 

Financial outlay is one of the primary reasons the Audio Industry does not provide independent testing. It is easier to advertise, tell a story, or mimic your own versus investing in third-party physical tests based on physics.

Electricity establishes vibrations. Vibrations create resonance. Resonance build-up negatively affects ‘all’ equipment performance.

Robert

Live-Vibe Audio

I’m not sure I follow all of that but so far, no one has explained how physical vibrational energy gets transformed into electrical energy in a solid state device w/ no moving parts. 

If this truly can happen, think about the effects it might have on the electronics in a high speed fighter jet or space rocket.