Vibration Control

Why do solid state audio electronics with no moving parts need or benefit from vibration control? 

It makes perfect sense that turntables, CD transports, R2R tape decks, loudspeakers & tubed electronics (w/ potentially micro phonic tubes) might all benefit from various methods of vibration control or mitigation but I don’t see why anything else would. Any thoughts??

jonwolfpell

Typically, there is concern about transformers causing internal vibration that affects other components in a solid state design. One reason we see an increasing number of high end solid state components going to external power supplies.  In cases where the transformer is contained in the same case with more sensitive circuits, like in a powerful integrated amplifier, coupling devices that drain away vibration may be more appropriate than devices that isolate the device from external vibration sources.

“Some damaging vibrations are created inside your stereo components. Obvious contributors would be CD drives, trays, and actuators whose mechanical movement creates vibrations that can travel through the structure, potentially affecting sensitive board-level circuit components. Less obvious, but in some ways more problematic, are transformers. All transformers vibrate and, just as with mechanical sources, the vibrations they create can influence sensitive circuitry.”

https://www.gcaudio.com/tips-tricks/vibration-origins-effects-solutions/

A long time ago during a heated discussion along this line, a member who was a physicist, told of how they measured lots of vibrations in concrete (or some other super dense material). This was in an isolated room, away from outside influences and I believe it was in response to music being played. Normal measuring devices couldn’t pick it up.

When I got my Iso-Acoustic Orea footers for my integrated and SACD player, I tried them out on the integrated first, thinking it would be of minor, if any, improvement and wouldn’t be apparent if I tried the SACD player first. I was wrong. The Oreas made a slight but notable difference in the sound, all for the better. More focus, better sound staging, etc.

All of this was done on my carpenter made audio/video stand made of 1" thick maple. You won’t know until you try it.

All the best,
Nonoise