Active Speakers Don't Sound Better

I just wanted to settle a debate that has often raged in A’gon about active vs. passive speakers with my own first hand experience. I’ve recently had the chance to complete a 3-way active center channel to match my 2-way passive speakers.

I can absolutely say that the active nature of the speaker did not make it sound better. Or worse. It has merged perfectly with my side speakers.

What I can say is that it was much easier to achieve all of the technical design parameters I had in mind and that the speakers have better off-axis dispersion as a result, so it is measurably slightly better than if I had done this as a passive center. Can I hear it? I don’t think so. I think it sounds the same.

From an absolute point of view, I could have probably achieved similar results with a passive speaker, but at the cost of many more crossover stages and components.  It was super easy to implement LR4 filters with the appropriate time delays, while if I had done this passively it would require not just the extra filter parts but all pass filters as well.  A major growth in part counts and crossover complexity I would never have attempted.  So it's not like the active crossover did any single thing I couldn't do passively, but putting it all together was so much easier using DSP that it made it worthwhile.

I can also state that as a builder it was such a positive experience that I may very well be done with making passive speakers from now on.

All the best,

Erik

erik_squires

Whatever the technical advantages in active designs,

I’ve yet to hear a paradigm changing moment, listening to an active design.

To me, they just sound like “yet another speaker” - They sound very good but not wow this is something new.

I auditioned the Kii Audi 3 Active speakers a number of times.

One time I was able to directly compare them with a whole bunch of my test tracks

Versus a spendor classic  1/2  Passive stand mount.

I end up preferring the Spendor.  

I own a pair of Audio Pro A4-14 (with mods and updates) and I am very familiar with Meridian and B&O powered speakers. At the time of release for each and every model that I was exposed to, I thought there was something to it, granted the Meridian and B&O speakers were always connected as part of the companies' systems. I heard a pair of ATC powered speakers, and I was surprised at the dynamics and SPL they were providing. I still prefer non powered speakers with awesome ss amplification.

And Shrek looked at Donkey and said "do you think he's compensating?"

Now, I'll return to listening to my awesome system not bothered for a nanosecond about opinions of others and enjoy the artistry of world class musicians and vocalists.   That's my world.  Ciao Bella

Audioengine A5+ is one of the better non expensive active speakers that I own. They now sound quite well integrated (drivers / amp), but needed much time to break in, at first I did not like them. They are also well designed, benefitting from a bigger size box. They sound much better on stands. Still, my Aurum Cantus 2 passive speakers, slightly larger, sound better, more refined, with a very good ribbon tweeter. I was lucky to find them used for a price ca = the A5+. Both go beyond the typical bookshelf (or desktop) role, and are able to fill a room reasonably well (on stands).

Cheap Active speakers are OK for the Garage system.....but Audiophiles like to experiment with amps, pre- amps cables , inter-connects and have fun doing so. It's our "Hobby"....Active speakers...You're stuck!