Developing A List Of Tonearm Candidates For A SOTA Turntable

So this month i sent my SME V off to a new home, and that leaves my SOTA armless. My other table has a schroder CB-1L on it and I have run either an Ortofon Verismo or Transfiguration Proteus on it. I did put both those same cartridges on the SME on the SOTA and it always had a disappointing presentation of harmonics and texture. A monochromatic sound could be the best description I have. Time for another arm.

The SOTA armboard restricts the type of arm that can be installed. The arm types that have a VTA tower and separate pivot point take up too much real estate to fit. So fitting something like a Wheaton, Reed, or Durand does not seem possible. I wondered about elevating the arm board so its level with the top plate, but I am not sure if there is enough room for the want to pivot without removing the dust cover. It is a possibility, but I wonder how it effects the travel of the suspension. and if there are unintended consequences. I have yet to read about any SOTA owners doing this.

So I am trying to put together a list of candidates. I do know some folks appreciate the Origin Live arms, but I am not very well versed in their lineup. I have wondered about the Groovemaster arms also. I have looked at the Moerch, but its kind of a fiddly thing. The point is the table is on the sidelines at the moment because there is no arm in place. I typically shop the used market, but I can be patient and wait for the right arm to come along. The benefit of having more than one table i guess. 

Anyone else have any suggestions. Appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

neonknight

Sumiko MDC-800 The Arm, which SOTA's David Fletcher designed to partner with his table. If you can’t find (or afford) one, look for a Zeta, the workingman’s MDC-800.

I have the entry OL Onyx which replaced an RB300 for my Rega P2 (Groovetracer modified all the way down). Everything was instantly more transparent and full bodied (if I can use that term). The downside was after a month of happy listening I began to have channel cut-out somewhere halfway through a side or variable volume playback. It was awful. I went to the Origin Live website for trouble shooting and they had the issue and the remedy listed. I had to dismantle the arm and end plug. The teeny-tiny wires in the arm needed to be untwisted and the ground wire reseated. It took about 30 minutes and the problem was erased. Everything back to sounding 100%. However, I worry all the time now about those little wires twisting again.

Supatrac's Nighthawk. Or Blackbird for less cost. Great review by Fremer on the Blackbird.