Developing A List Of Tonearm Candidates For A SOTA Turntable

So this month i sent my SME V off to a new home, and that leaves my SOTA armless. My other table has a schroder CB-1L on it and I have run either an Ortofon Verismo or Transfiguration Proteus on it. I did put both those same cartridges on the SME on the SOTA and it always had a disappointing presentation of harmonics and texture. A monochromatic sound could be the best description I have. Time for another arm.

The SOTA armboard restricts the type of arm that can be installed. The arm types that have a VTA tower and separate pivot point take up too much real estate to fit. So fitting something like a Wheaton, Reed, or Durand does not seem possible. I wondered about elevating the arm board so its level with the top plate, but I am not sure if there is enough room for the want to pivot without removing the dust cover. It is a possibility, but I wonder how it effects the travel of the suspension. and if there are unintended consequences. I have yet to read about any SOTA owners doing this.

So I am trying to put together a list of candidates. I do know some folks appreciate the Origin Live arms, but I am not very well versed in their lineup. I have wondered about the Groovemaster arms also. I have looked at the Moerch, but its kind of a fiddly thing. The point is the table is on the sidelines at the moment because there is no arm in place. I typically shop the used market, but I can be patient and wait for the right arm to come along. The benefit of having more than one table i guess. 

Anyone else have any suggestions. Appreciate your thoughts and experiences.

neonknight

You play LPs with dust cover on?  If not, who cares whether the dust cover impedes the lateral traverse?

@neonknight Today I have broken my Hiatus from the Analog Section for a New Member and now for you Origin Live Inquiry.

I have a friend in my local Audio Club, who sold on their SME 20/12 as a result on my introducing them to a New to them Experience of a Vinyl Front End.

You are aware of my Vinyl Front End and how it is assembled.

The SME 20/12 owner moved on to Origin Live Tonearms and went through the Encore fairly quickly to settle for quite some time on the Illustrious.

They were with no doubt the Illustrious was a TA well worthwhile having in use and rated it above the V12.

I have experienced the Illustrious > Sumiko Pearwood in various systems that have had the Illustrious mounted on a Idler Drive and Belt Drive TT.

Never have I perceived the Illustrious > Pearwood as being wanting in any way.

When the Ill' > P'wood was used on a ID 401 with a Compressed Bamboo Plinth, O was off the view, that was the very best 401 experience I had ever had. 

The Ill' was eventually replaced by the Conqueror, which I never received a demo'.

The owner of the Conqueror was very very pleased, and made it known there was noticeable improvements to the Pearwoods performance.

Here is the Curve Ball, a friend of the 401 > Conq' > Pearwood user, laid down a challenge to put a Vertere DG-1 TT with the DG Tonearm in use.

The 401 > Conq' are now sold, the Vertere DG-1 TT > DG Tonearm > Pearwood are now in use for quite some time, nearly a year.

The Vertere user is off the view this is the best Vinyl Front End he has had in use.

I can't Vouch for the OL TA's or the Vertere DG TA being competible to your requirements for the Sota.

Back to my Hiatus 😴      

I have a Origin Live Silver iv on my Sota Escape and it's really nice.   I would imagine their top offerings are high quality as you go up the line.  

Sumiko MDC-800 The Arm, which SOTA's David Fletcher designed to partner with his table. If you can’t find (or afford) one, look for a Zeta, the workingman’s MDC-800.