iFi LAN iSilencer connection

This can be plugged into the router or the streamer. My guess is it would be better plugged into the router if you have a well shielded ethernet cable.

Is there a preferred method or no difference?  

Thanks!

macg19

Won't make any difference. Ethernet does not lose any bits. Stream goes literally via hundreds of switches, converters, routers, coax, fiber, satellite links and nothing ever gets lost.

@mikhailark 

Here we go again, commenting without a clue, neither tried it nor took enough time to research predetermined opinions thoroughly. I kindly suggest you sh** up.

I hope you have better results than I had with the iFi Lan Silencer. It made no difference in my system and was returned.  My ethernet goes through optical to filter out noise so that may be the reason.  I ordered a returnable SmoothLan filter and will see if that has positive results.  🤞

@tksteingraber

+1

(1) it made absolutely no difference where you plugged it in.

(2) Regardless , the iFI LAN Silencer is an enticing marketing gig and I regrettably drank its KoolAid . It was a total bust compared to first upgrading with installing high-end quality build Ethernet CAT 7 cables; , and then installing a quality build external power supply mated to a Silent Angel audiophile network switch

In hindsight, it’s no great surprise . The IFi LAN Silencer is enticingly cheap to buy hoping for an audio improvement, but it is just a cheap quality build tweak made to its pricepoint .

there are other peer tech like options out there to boot …it ain’t no landmark technology here.

It's been long proven that electrical interference can happen in ethernet in certain cases. While the data may be ones and zeroes, it's carried by an electrical signal and the cables are subject in interference from other devices and power cables.  Attach to the device at point of use, not at the source (router). High quality well shielded cables reduce but not eliminate the issue, and for many, the bundles of wires at the stereo can be a huge source of interference. That said, I would not buy one unless I had a proven issue that could not be resolved with proper cable management first.