Is the idea of audiophile listening a dying concept as boomers die off?

I’m a boomer myself and was wondering if any other listeners have knowledge or data on how much of a declining industry high end audio is in general? Or am I mistaken and it’s not dying off at all?

tubelvr11

I think we (as in audiophile, studied listening) have always been a niche. When I was a teen into my 20s, listening was a social activity-- there was much less home entertainment to compete. Into my 30s and 40s, I participated in an audio club in NY but got to a point where had far less time to listen, and was not interested in futzing around with turntables and tubes (my long time systems, since the early-mid 70s). Home theater became an easy way to push a couple buttons and be entertained when I was doing so much traveling for work.

By my 50s, I got back into two channel audio and revamped the main system entirely. Now, in my dotage, I have the time and interest to continue this type of "studied" listening. I have met young people who are pursuing a similar course, though they have not yet reached their peak earning power. That doesn’t matter, it’s more a mindset and approach than money spent. But, without wide-ranging data, all I have is my anecdotal experience-- and believe we have always been in the minority (except perhaps in the ’70s, when hanging out and listening was a "thing to do" for our generation).

@ghasely

I think everyone should question the value/implication of this data: "The three best years for modern era high end audio sales in terms of units sold and revenue were 2021, 2022 and 2023."

a. How were the 'best years of audio - revenue' adjusted for inflation?

b. How were the 'best years of audio - units soldadjusted for population growth?

We need to compare 'apples to apples'. If these adjustments are lacking, the opening statement has little relevance.

This question has been coming up for decades with lots of reasons that it is a dying pursuit, but the number of products continues to proliferate. I remember watching in awe as old guys came in and carted off the most recent Audio Research component… far more expensive than I could dream of purchasing. Well, now I’m the old guy…and after me there will be followed by other younger old guys. 

Earning Power has nothing whatsoever to do with listening to music via electronic devices.

My experiences to date are there is very very little snobbery to be found in music replays as a Hobby, there is not agenda to keep the Riff Raff out, no exclusivity for the membership. That is not saying there is not individuals who share their interest similar in this Hobby who are not snobs, some of these individuals most likely are members within a forum, and some may even be frequent posters on their chosen forum/forums. 

A Hobby and the attention it can generate through the usage of surrounding supporting networks, takes all sorts to assist with the cultivating the growth. I am not prejudiced towards any sharing their interest. 

It is well noted on this forum and many others, exceptional listening experiences are able to be produced using electronic devices that are not stupid expensive.

As mentioned in a previous post, there are today in use numerous sources, the individual is more defined today by their choice of Source and Medium used, than their chosen music genre.

Years ago when in discussion you were Wed to a Vinyl or CD Source / Vinyl CD Source, with a specific liking for a Genre/ Multiple Genre's.

Today an individual is a Data Streamer, Digital Recorded File user, Phone user , Hard Drive user , CD user , Analogue Tape user , Vinyl user or any combination.

Even a typical found in the home Desktop PC or Laptop are considered today a replay Source worthwhile using for Stored Digital Recordings or Streamed Data Recordings.

Any will be considered Audiophile in relation to the end sound that can be produced, to achieve an End Sound that is deemed attractive does not require silly monies to achieve. 

@tom2015 +++ you are spot on with your post “People under 50 that can afford the pricier items have demanding jobs and families.”

I am a perfect example of that. Influenced by my older brothers I started going to concerts and buying records at 10. Reading audio magazines, buying the best components I could afford doing odd jobs through high school and college. Then demanding work (TV/Audio Buyer and Sales manager), getting married, 3 kids, house demands, tight budget living in CA - music was not a priority. Then 3-4 years ago being retired, kids in college, free time the hobby was reborn. This time without the financial restraints and guilt but focused on value and not going too crazy. (although my wife thinks otherwise)  Hopefully this trend will continue into the upcoming generations for the minority that really cherish hearing music in a room rather than earbuds. Time will tell but there should be some screaming deals on used gear we leave behind.