10dB resonant peak at 40Hz

Hi all, room is 13' x 15' and am getting a 10dB room resonance at 40Hz

How to eliminate? Can't move the speakers and room treatment would need to be minimally invasive.

cdc

@erik_squires you mean THIS?

I’ll try moving them around this weekend. Right now, they are 50" out from front wall and 30" from side walls. I did calculate 15 ft resonance is 37 Hz - sounds about right.

Since plugging the ports worked, sealed box may be another idea but would need a larger cabinet.

OP:

Yes, that’s the one.  As you mention, plugging the ports will work but sometimes at the expense of all lower bass.  A parametric EQ on the other hand can clip these enormous resonances effectively and make it possible to better balance the bass output.  With subs clipping peaks can often help you raise the sub volume very effectively.

I had a similar issue (12 dB @30 Hz), and was able to work with Music City Accoustics to get some wall-mounted tuned bass traps. I tried to work with GIK on this issue, but I found them to be inflexible and uninterested in addressing this targeted issue, by the way.

I am not sure how constrained you are when you say"minimally intrusive." These take up no living space but they are visually apparent. Corner mounting was not required. I ended up buying 4 of them. They are about 14" square each, and they are mounted in a pattern on the wall. I consider them unintrusive, and my SO had no complaints. You/your SO may disagree.

The effect of adding these was immediate and extremely effective. I wouldn't want to address the problem any other way.

I have a couple of GIK Acoustics corner bass traps that are not very intrusive and I'm not using them.  If you're near SD you're welcome to try them. 

Otherwise, look for some near you.  An easy solution if it works.