Genesis 350 vs. Carver AL-III

I currently own a pair of Carver AL-III, my AL-III high frequency roll off above 18kHz and the low is not very good. I am thinking to buy a pair of Genesis 350 to replace to Carver in the next 2 to 3 month. However one of my friend told me both speaker ribbon drivers were identical, although I can't personally confirm that and if this is true, exactly how much difference am I going to get for my money?

Any input would be nice.

Thanks
128x128topvideo
Gregm little information here the 350 upgrade to the 350 SE isn't just changing the ribbon midrange it also adds 9 additional ribbon tweeters on the front of each speaker and believe a additional rear tweeter or 2 is added it ends up with the same midrange/tweeter configuration as the 201's I'm sure the crossover has changes also for SE. otherwise I agree with your comments. Believe the latest 5 series would fit this particular system and room in question best definitely
Regarding your original question "Topvideo", the midrange drivers in the Carver speakers are very different from those in the current Genesis 350. Genesis uses a midrange ribbon manufactured by Bohlender & Graebener, the Carver speaker used a Carver driver. The confusion exists because the old Genesis speakers used the same Carver driver for a while. I know my Genesis II's used the Carver driver. Those Carver drivers deteriorate with age (exhibiting nasty intermittent problems as they die), so I replaced my Carver midranges with the Bohlender & Graebener drivers, which were dramatically better. (By the way, Genesis offers a midrange modification for the Genesis II's if you upgrade the midrange drivers from Carver to Bohlender & Graebener, but I think the Genesis II sounds far better with the new drivers and WITHOUT the crossover modification - this of course just my opinion.) I later bought the Genesis 201 - see my "for sale" ad for those on Audiogon. I don't know whether the original Genesis 350 used the Carver driver, but they certainly do not now. If you buy a used pair of 350's, I personally would avoid any that used the Carver driver (if that was ever the case) first because the new driver sounds so much better, and secondly because they will fail with time. Also, I am not sure I would rule out the 350's for your room. The reason is the line source design minimizes side wall reflections and the bass volume can be adjusted with the bass amplifier (I say this because I would be worried about bass overload in your room if you had no ability to adjust the bass). The Genesis V offers incredible sound (one of Genesis' finest designs in my opinion), but the midrange will not offer the remarkable transparency of a ribbon midrange like the one in the 350, the 201 and 1.1. Whatever Genesis speaker you buy, I would make sure it has been manufactured by the new company. Although the Genesis folks try to be very helpful about the old Genesis products, they are under no obligation to support them. Also, see if you can get an in-home demo of the speaker since the room has such a dramatic impact on the sound, but less so with line source designs like the 350, 201 etc.
Mejames, hi, a halcro dm58 giving away 200 watts, will it mate well with the genesis 201?