Does it have to sound good for you to like it?

I listen mainly to classical music.  The SQ of classical recordings is all over the place, not nearly as consistent other types of music.  Recording large orchestras is a complicated and difficult endeavor. Smaller ensembles are easier to record. So, if you listen to a great performance of an orchestral (or any) recording but have trouble with the sound will you avoid listening to it?

128x128rvpiano

I find many poorly recorded albums are more enjoyable on secondary systems or in the car...

I'd say, poorly recorded analog recording definitely sounds better on better systems, but with digital...it's inconclusive to me.

I know people are tired of me saying the same thing ad nauseum. There are beautiful "performances" in all of our recordings. I will listen to bootlegs or any quality cd (still my main source), for the musicianship, the composition and the artistic expression. I find it sad that many here will not listen to some great music if they feel the recording is poor. My main rig allows me to hear all of this, more than my car or phone/headphones. As an example, I have many BBC Sessions cds by Hendrix, Zep, Beatles and many more. From the Hendrix release "Blues", "Born Under A Bad Sign", is a perfect example of exactly what I am talking about. This recording (if you are a fan of Hendrix, or maybe not) can teach you to listen to the musicians, first. Lots of fabulous studio sounds as well. I recommend everyone listen to it, even Classical listeners. Maybe this should be posted under "music"? Sorry rv, but it is an example of your thread. Using a recording of a solo violin as an example, if the violin sounds a bit "tinny", stop paying the most attention to the "sound" and "location" of the instrument, and turn your attention to the virtuosity of the violinist. This is my take of course. No matter what I want to listen to, my main rig gets the play. My best, MrD.

Sound quality matters not a whit to me. I have a great collection that includes many 78s and 7" 45s. Neither known for their stellar sound quality, LOL. I’ll leave the audiophiles to their own devices.