What did a good 10 MHz clock do for your Gustard R26?

I'm auditioning an R26 and it's lovely (musical, high resolution in the microdynamics for example) but a little soft on the highest octave. The imaging is not great. On my speaker system (B&K ST120, Spendor S3/5) the images tend to collapse into left, right, center. I have a guy who does really impressive mods ... beefs up the power supply, adds ERS paper for shielding, bypass caps, etc.... but that's irreversible in case I don't like the result... I'm worried about it getting too bright after the mod. So I thought, why not try a good 10 MHz clock? I don't have the budget for a Mutec, but I could try a less expensive one and have my guy mod it and also create a good BNC cable for it. So I'm wondering what has a good 10 MHz clock done for your R26? Improve the extension on top? Improve the imaging? Has it changed the tonal balance in any way? I'd like more extended but not brighter.

magon

@audphile1 You're talking about my R26 right? Mine doesn't seem to match the descriptions of others' R26s. Like the imaging. I suspect mine is broken.

I got a Gustard 10 MHz clock, the $750 or so model, from Amazon, could return. After an hour of warmup of the clock (the R26 DAC was already warmed up), I hear an improvement in extension and tonal balance, more midrange where there seems to be an upper midrange recession in the stock R26. But it's a small difference. Call it one step of difference. I would want about 5 steps of difference to be worth $1000 (The Gustard clock plus Gustard clock cable plus tax). I don't think I'm keeping either the clock or the R26. Not sure what I'll do. Maybe just go back to previous DAC (a modified iFi iDSD Nano, surprisingly good after mods). And wait. Maybe try the Denafrips.

Yep I’m talking about R26. If you have a second unit that doesn’t sound right then you should be done. 

there’s a lot of hype going on around the LAiV Harmony DAC. May be try that? Seems to be receiving lots of praise from the reviewers. 

@magon yeah maybe cut bait and run if you're not happy, return the clock and sell the R26, the aftermarket price for them is pretty decent.

I've owned a Denafrips Terminator II (sold it to fund a Lampizator Baltic V4) and would recommend the brand, good sonically, good rep, excellent after sales service and warranty support, seems the new Pontus is a sweet spot in the lineup but you will also definitely need one of their DDCs to fully exploit its capabilities.

Another good DAC I own is the Weiss 204, you won't need a DDC or clock with it, lots of reviews and forum posts about it.