Solar flares are here, everyone unplug your dryer!

Turns out we have exceptionally high solar activity right now, with a category 4 solar flair expected to impact the planet, potentially affecting satellite communications, electronics and power grids.

Of course, if history is any guide the news is absolutely over excited over this, at best those in the northern states may see pretty lights at night.  I was particularly amused this afternoon at a CNN weather person recommending you unplug your dryer just to be safe.  I mean, is that really the most important appliance in his house?  🤣

Also, kind of off topic, if you have binoculars or a telescope with the right solar filters you can catch a glimpse of the dark spots on the sun associated with this CME.  Amazing to imagine that it is about 15-16x wider than the earth. 

erik_squires

I live in Canada. In winter we live through sub zero temperatures for many successive months...

A house is not habitable here without electricity...

This is why this problem make me think a lot....

More perhaps than those who lives in milder condition...

When you live at 25 celsius under zero for many days without electricity. You cannot live long especially older people...

And i cannot have all it takes to survive without electricity...

😊

A CME is a previsible reoccuring regular event... We know it...

Government had the duty to prepare the infrastructure for it. period.

I have 40 years old vintage dryer simply because I don't use it much maybe few times per year. Prefer hanging on the street. I love neighbors to see my underwear flapping on the wind.

@mahgister  instead of relying on others why don't you prepare your home for potential power grid meltdown. People lived in cold climates before electricity.

instead of relying on others why don't you prepare your home for potential power grid meltdown.

Probably because it is more enjoyable to turn a solar flare discussion into a rant about foreign policy.