New expensive power cord for amp and no change in sound?

I bought new an expensive(for me) well known and reviewed power cord for my very good amp and plugged it directly onto the wall socket. After a couple of weeks of daily use I hear no change in the sound quality from a $500 cord. I don’t want to name it for fear of getting my thread deleted. You would know it or at least be aware of the company. Did I throw away several thousand dollars? Before I get the snake oil answer I want to let you know that I bought an upgraded cord for my pre as suggested by the pre’s manufacturer and am pleased with the results.

I guess for full disclosure the amp’s manufacturer said don’t bother. But I had had good luck with the pre so I thought it would be a good idea.

Anybody else have this happen to them?

roxy1927

immatthewj I’m incapable of believing the high dollar amount is necessary. I assume they could get 90% of the high dollar benefit for 10% of the cost.

@jon_5912 , well, that is your prerogative. I don’t personally have enough experience with the subject to say I believe it or that I don’t believe it. People that strike me as credible have told me in private conversations that they have heard significant improvements when they have used fuses that cost more than $100. I have always been a bit skeptical, but I have no experience with those fuses so I refrain from commenting on that subject also.

On a personal level, I find my system to be pleasing (to me); I realize it could sound a lot better, and I’d like it to sound a lot better, but there are (at least) a couple of other areas I’ feel I need to address before I get into playing with power cords and fuses, and, sadly, there was a price to be paid for retiring at the age I did, and that price is basically how much disposable income I have to put into my system. I recently made a couple of fairly significant upgrades that I probably couldn’t afford, and therefore I am probably not going to buy anything else for quite a while, and if and when I do, it probably will not be power cords or fuses . . . but, that doesn’t mean that I am not interested in what others find out along those lines.

Because regardless of what I type about abstaining from upgrades , I often change my mind.

I agree with some of above power amps in my experience display the least changes with power cords. Again this is my experience yours may be different. Also a $500 power cord should be no slouch. Lastly to me power cord differences fall on the subtle end of the spectrum.

I have found that some components, especially amps, respond to power cord changes much more than others. The same power cord might perform beautifully on one amp and make no discernible difference on another. I'm not sure I would have believed that had I not experienced it myself. 

I switched out my upgraded PC from stock that were Shunyata King Cobra  (2) last summer for the Audio quest Dragon HC (2) and I’ll tell u I could hear a big difference. More clarity. Bigger soundstage. More details with voices and instruments especially the plucking of guitar strings. Well worth the upgrade. Btw. Amps are ARC Ref 750s. 

Sounds like you’re $500 cord worked great with the Pass. Sorry you had to learn/ relearn that synergy, not price are more important and always listen to cables with a return policy.