If you have a nice system why do you really need room treatments?

Yeah you may need an absorption panel if your room is completely open, ie. No rug or furniture, ie just lonely single chair. But if your system can't cut it in any room then it's a system problem and you should be able to discern a good system regardless of the room.  Unless you put it on the roof of your apartment building but the Beatles seemed to have survived that effort

I think people go nuts with all this absorption acoustical room treatment stuff and it looks kind of awful.  Once in a while you see a really cool looking diffuser panel and I would definitely want one. But to have a system that works really well without any of the acoustical panel distractions is a wonderful thing.

emergingsoul

Unfriendly people lurking about.

It’s about a really nice system in a room and you should be able to discern the qualities of a really nice system in room. And then you have all the furniture in the room and often times all the bookshelves and sofas and rugs make the room sound amazing and lots of peoples rooms are like this.

There’s a lot of people with really nice rooms who have really amazing sounding systems all the acoustical stuff and that’s a wonderful thing

I imagine there’s a lot of people out there with complicated furniture set ups and maybe they throw on some acoustical panels and most of us have no clue if it sounds any better or not we just do it. How many people really do a good job with acoustical panels and then choosing between absorption and diffusing who knows if people are getting it right and most times they probably aren’t and after all there is no right answer is there?

It’s about a really nice system in a room and you should be able to discern the qualities of a really nice system in room.

Sure. But if you had the wherewithal to scientifically tune the room I am sure that would make the great sound of a great system sound even better. However, to say that the differences in a good system and a not-as-good system cannot be discerned in an untreated room is not true.

I dont agree. Without a decent room you cant discern, effectively, what differentiates good from not so good. I think the room is more important than the components assuming the system is of sufficient quality.