No discussion about the Synergistic Pink fuse?

I can't believe my eyes.

The pink fuse is not a joke either. Although it sounds like one after Quantum, Black, Blue, Orange, Purple, Master... did I miss something?

fynnegan

I blew a couple of hifi fuses (ouch!) because I didn’t get slo blo.  Rookie mistake.  So I cut them apart to see what’s inside.  It was a thin wire between two end caps.  A piece of teflon tubing was shrouding the filament inside a ceramic tube.  It seems other types of hifi fuses use mineral fill around the filament.  And maybe some silver plated end caps for a good connection.  Looks like a labor intensive assembly process hence the high cost.

My theory is they find some way to dampen the thin wire from mechanical vibrations.  The wire itself is maybe high grade OCC copper plated with silver and is directional- just like certain cables.

The good news is, hifi fuses will blow if overloaded.

I have (and swear by) SR fuses.

I currently use Purples and Oranges in almost all my components. I've not heard the new Pink one, though.

That being said, I would imagine the higher end your equipment, the better match the more expensive models of fuse would be.

@captaindidactic , I agree. Ignorance is bliss. 

I prefer Magic beans, toss em out the window and bam..all will see the vine to wealth.

Cheers

@tonywinga Cool, and sadly expensive, that you were able to dissect a couple of tubes.  

It would be nice if the filament were some highly conductive audiophile wire, but generally it has to be something with a low melting point, like lead and tin.

If anyone has an audiophile fuse that is blown and they want to donate it to science, send it to me, I will dissect it and try to test the filament by spectroscopy to see what metal it is.  I will also try to measure it, I have an optical micrometer.

Jerry

……when they do make the rainbow fuse, I hope that they indicate which direction you put it in.