Geddes multiple subwoofer method - 3 subs vice 4

Geddes recommends 3 subs for optimal sound - a different perspective

Interesting video depicting Geddes philosophy on using subs. Also, he treats the main speakers as part of the bass solution and does not recommend using high pass filters as this takes away from the total bass capabilities of the entire speaker sub interface system. I am going to experiment this weekend. Also, a higher crossover frequency for the first sub collocated closer to the main speakers is new to me. Recommended above 100 hertz for the first sub and then incrementally lower for the 2nd and 3rd sub in an asymmetric pattern. 

I feel like the Geddes approach for sub integration closely resembles what I have been doing for years without even knowing this method. So, my 18” deep bass and 15” mid bass drivers on the field coil speakers become part of the solution instead of being taken out of the equation. That’s what I have been doing and that’s what I thought sounded best to me. Multiple ways to do sub integration but this method is the one that pretty mirrors how I have been doing it for years.

audioquest4life

Dear @james633  : Mainly I'm talking of MUSIC home/system reproduction where the whole frequency range belongs/"lives" through the bass range. As better the bass range in any audio system as better the whole quality MUSIC reproduction levels.

That's why THD in the bass range is just so critical due that high THD levels as the JTR ( that are for HT not MUSIC: ) subs afects all the whole MUSIC frequency range system due that the different bass frequency ranges develops harmonics that has direct influence in the midrange and from here to the HF range.

You are fine with that 5%-10% on THD and no problem with me, it's only that's way to high in frony/against the 0.5% at 120 db in the Velodyne.

We can have a perfect room/system sub blend with a " marvelous " frequency chart but the main issue down there is not that perfect blend but the developed THD level by the subs inside the subs system range at seat position. That's all, it's not about to subs it's about MUSIC reproduction quality level.

Just my way of thinking,

R.

@rauliruegas wrote:

That’s why THD in the bass range is just so critical due that high THD levels as the JTR ( that are for HT not MUSIC: ) subs afects all the whole MUSIC frequency range system due that the different bass frequency ranges develops harmonics that has direct influence in the midrange and from here to the HF range.

True, but..

You are fine with that 5%-10% on THD and no problem with me, it’s only that’s way to high in frony/against the 0.5% at 120 db in the Velodyne.

Let’s get real - there’s no magic bullet here. According to the Audioholic’s review a single Velodyne DD18+ won’t even reach 120dB’s; it runs out of steam just above 115dB’s - at 50Hz and ~7% distortion. At 20Hz it’ll do some 103dB’s with a distortion level going well beyond 20% at this output. By all accounts these are very respectable numbers for a sub this size, but after all - it’s just physics and their limitations. What you’re referencing (i.e.: 120dB’s with no more than 0.5% distortion) is close to impossible with anything other than a truly gigantic subs system that wouldn’t fit anywhere practically.

You want low distortion in the lower octaves at higher levels you need much more displacement, and in effect efficiency and size. No technological trickery with small, low eff. cube subs will do that, unless multiplied in significant numbers at a very hefty price tag (unless it’s a DIY approach). Go high efficiency with 2-4 large boxes (likely also DIY) on the other hand is another matter.

So, lower distortion in the bass area is very important indeed, but to get there there’s no way around what I just specified above. Few however are willing to do what it takes, if they even realize it. Instead they resort to finger pointing and calling the likes of stacked sub towers flanking main speakers for being "overkill" and what not, thinking their puny and expensive cubes are all what it takes. If only they knew..

Excerpt from named review. 

Velodyne specifies that distortion is held below 0.5%THD during normal operation by the servo system. Perhaps it is but what is “normal” operation? Probably rather modest playback levels without much deep bass accounted for. Any subwoofer system I have ever measured the distortion for or seen test results for has had distortion that rises dramatically in the deep bass frequencies when the system is pushed towards its upper output limits. This is due to the increased demands for air displacement from the driver, passive radiator, ports or all of the above as the frequencies get lower.

@audioquest4life wrote:

I feel like the Geddes approach for sub integration closely resembles what I have been doing for years without even knowing this method. So, my 18” deep bass and 15” mid bass drivers on the field coil speakers become part of the solution instead of being taken out of the equation. That’s what I have been doing and that’s what I thought sounded best to me. Multiple ways to do sub integration but this method is the one that pretty mirrors how I have been doing it for years.

For your 15" and 18" woofers to have the "Geddes effect" they'd have needed to be properly spaced apart, and not placed in the same pair of speakers. What you can do however is using your no doubt great Classic Audio Loudspeakers in their intended full-range mode as two bass sources, and then add two subs placed along the opposing wall or side walls for a 4 bass source DBA. 

My subwoofers offer high pass connectivity and filtering. The manufactures instructions suggests:  

If your main amplifier has difficulty driving your main speakers bass to your satisfaction then give the subs high pass circuit a try.

If your main speakers are small and lack bass then give the subs high pass a try.

I love the way my amps drive my speakers low bass. A few of my older LP's simply sound better with the subs off.

Since these subs multi parameter, frequency band auto optimization does so well matching the speakers low frequency presentation, high pass filtering is noticeably wasted. Surprisingly, this decade old twenty minute optimization software quickly and easily solves much of todays hifi subwoofer setup and integration issues.