SEEKING ADVICE: Which component would you upgrade first?

This is my first post, so take it easy on me!

I have a modest analog system and would like to get recommendations on which component you would upgrade first for the biggest impact. Please use the existing components as a gauge for my budget (+/- a few hundo).

About me: I'm music lover. I'm a musician and recording engineer. I have a decent collection of old and new records, CDs, and tapes, which I listen to regularly. I appreciate good sounding recordings and have the experience to identify good and bad, but I'm not interested in mortgaging my home to upgrade my system.

THE RIG

Receiver: Pioneer SX-680

Turntable: Pioneer PL-112D

Speakers: Yamaha NS-1 and Pioneer HPM-100

lukasread

OP here; thanks for all the input and hearty debate.

I've decided that I'll start with the cartridge. I'm happy with the speakers and amp, and believe they're each doing everything they can with what they've been provided. Therefore, I must upgrade the quality of the signal the speakers and amp are getting.

No, @ditusa, not a Bot. But I appreciate the motivation to get me to respond back and close the loop.

Cheers!

Upgrade the signal, but what does the signal have to go through?

The phono stage.

IMO, the TT/cart is only as good as the phono stage.

@lukasread Wrote:

I’ve decided that I’ll start with the cartridge.

Good move, and welcome to Audiogon! See Schiit phono preamp Skoll$399

Mike

@theflattire right, but like i said, i believe the cartridge is trailing the phono stage and speakers. After I upgrade the cheap, entry-level cartridge, I can consider additional upgrades.