15k USD Speakers for Classical and Pop Extended Listening, Near setup, Low volume

Dear Audiophiles,

I am looking for some speakers for my home office. Speakers would be place 6ft from me on either side of my desk. Speakers will be 8 ft apart.

I love classical music and pop. I am looking for speakers for extended listening at not very high volume. They should be warm and non fatiguing.

I am currently considering following speakers:

1. Monitor Audio Gold 300

2. ATC SCM40

3. Kef R7 Meta

Do you have any other suggestions. Thanks and appreciate your help!

ilikeclassical

sources:

Fios to PC

DVD/CD drive in PC.

Streaming via PC

usb out of pc to small DAC to Luxman Line 1

TT to Luxman which has both MM and MC built in

R2R to Luxman Line 2

Volume/Mute via Luxman Remote Control.

Power: Luxman’s power button stays depressed, Chase RLC-1 unit has powered rear outlet. I use it’s remote control for Luxman power on/off, turn TT and R2R power on when in use. IOW, no need to go to the front aisle for PC based content.

minimum cables:

cables from desk: single usb, all other cables on/within the front row devices

cable to desk: ethernet for Fios (can be wireless).

power outlets/cables: think it thru. there are advantages of L shaped desks related to power outlets/cables

@elliottbnewcombjr - thanks for your detailed response. My design has the image on the wrong side. This is how the setup looks right now with my Jamo speakers. It is fine to keep them on stand like where they are? This room is practically empty and I have lot of flexibility in placement.

Also do you have any suggestions for high efficiency speakers.

@ilikeclassical the CODA dealer in Winnipeg that the Santa Barbara dude mentioned is Al who owns Hifi Art (Google the name for the website), I bought all my CODA gear from him, great guy.

For speakers, you could consider Dutch & Dutch powered speakers with room correction, that way you skip the amp and just need a streamer/DAC. If you want passive try Harbeth for good midrange easy listening.

Dutch & Dutch 8C. I haven’t listened to a pair.

If you can find a pair of Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolutions get 'em but they have to have the Sonus stands to work their best.. Maybe a sub too.

Classy,

You do not mention the ceiling height but as it is an office I will guess

between 8-9 feet.

You are fortunate to have a great shaped room that will help any speaker.

If you have flexibility in laying out the desk in the room the sound will be better by employing the long walls for speaker placement.  Yes you will be closer which

actually improves the sound. Instead of placing the desk between you and the

speakers why not place it on one side or the other from the listening chair?

The suggestion for using DSP is a good one. 

If you are able to utilize the space to it best advantage any speaker you choose

should be pretty good.

As to which brands-you inclusion of the ATC makes me wonder if warmth is

really your preference. It is a very good speaker and perhaps for classical

very good. But I have also heard it is not good for lower listening levels. 

My brand suggestions would be- Fritz Carrera 7 BE . Great for low level and detail

yet very warm. At $3k a total steal. As good if not better than the Pulsars for my

ears. Yes I did an a/b in my home with these two. 

The Dutch and Dutch-also had an a/b in my home- are better in lows and maybe miss than the Fritz but you lose the highs which are amazing. Fritz 7BEs need a sub or two. 

Borresens are a great sound and important to audition. 

After that I would consider the Franco Serblin Essence MSRP $20k but

some places will discount. This one may be the best for the classical you listen

to. They are to me the prettiest Box speaker going.

Good luck my friend!

Remember only your ears count in this decision.