At what point do you...

buy new vs used/open box/refurbished/demo, etc? I know this is all cost based relative but just curious where you draw the line and go brand new. For example, online retailer x has a brand new power cable for $499. They also have the exact same power cable (same length) on an open box for $449. Worth it to save the $50 or do you just go brand new? Or would you just always go for the less costly alternative because saving $ is saving $?

I have been wanting to get some consistency with my subs, currently I have a LaSpada 10AWG power cable on sub 1 and a Signal Cable Magic Power cable on sub 2. I also see there is a couple of open box Audioquest NRG4 power cables available for $30ea off already discounted brand new ones. I’m thinking of pulling the trigger on the NRG4’s and saving an additional $60 on the pair and using these on my SVS SB4000’s...

In some cases you can save significantly by going other than new but then not so much in other cases. I know this is extremely subjective and relative but just wondering how all of you decide when to just go brand new...again just curious how you all decide which direction to go...

kingbr

There are those who always buy new and those who try to buy preowned.  It is more a "which group are you in" vs "when".

For me, anything with moving parts is going to be new. Anything so expensive that I can’t chuck it and caulk it up as a learning experience I will get from a dealer. My system now in comparison with my income is very good… so I am aiming for the very best possible sound… so all of it is new puchased from a dealer (and delivered, first for demo, then installed). 

I almost always buy used. By purchasing used let’s me look at higher end gear. More bang for the buck. Yes,there is usually no warranty,which is the downside. Everyone has a different perspective.  

I buy used/open box/refurbished when it's about 50% or more off retail. Case in point: I bought a Yamaha CDS2100 for $1499 refurbished with a 3 year warranty from a reputable online shop.

Depends. I have no issue buying open box or refurbished as long as it is from a reputable dealer or direct from manufacturer/outlet. Also look for an "as new" warranty.