Transport for DAC

I have a Bel Canto DAC3 and I have been thinking about buying a CD transport for it. How important is the transport? How much does sound differ from transport to transport and do characteristics of the CD player carry over when using it as a transport? So if I want a smooth sound, would a classe or mcintosh sound different than a cheap DVD player? Thanks guys.
Darren
macd
Kijanki -- Do you happen to know if the dac chip(s) and circuitry are identical between the current versions of the dac1, the dac1-usb, and the dac1-pre? Their site has a comparison chart that deals mainly with functionality differences, but it's not clear to me if there are circuit differences in the dac sections. I'm thinking of getting one in the foreseeable future.

Thanks!
-- Al
Al - Benchmark had all sorts of problems so be careful with used one (and the new one has 5 years warranty for original owner). First problem in very early Benchmarks was thin sounding NE5532 made by Signetics (Philips). Fortunately Philips factory burned down around 2001 and license was bought by TI. Die was redesigned (larger) and the sound got fuller. NE5532 is very fine sounding opamp in spite of the price (but horrible DC spects). Second problem was too high impedance on unbalanced outputs (many people preferred to use headphone output for that) and the final minor problem (that my Benchmark suffers) is a little high balanced output impedance. The worst one is at -10dB settings that is perfect with my amp and speakers. I'm forced to use 0dB position (narrower adjustment range).
USB version has different Opamp (but only for the output stage) - newest and greatest LM4562. National got awards for this amp but mostly for combination of great AC and DC spects in one amp. LM4562 is a stronger amp and output divider was redesigned (reduced impedance). Oh there was also something about limitation to 96kHz at optical. It was changed to 192kHz with rev F. (same rev. F reduced unbalanced impedance to 30 Ohm). Benchmark has 30 day free evaluation program.

Word of a warning - Benchmark is not a warm sounding DAC. According to John Siau it was meant to be neutral because warm sound (exaggerated even harmonics) sounds wonderful with voice or guitar but not with instruments that have more complex harmonic structure than simple overtones (like piano or percussion instruments). He even mentioned that piano might sound like out of tune with some very warm systems. I don't have much of experience in audio and therefore believe in what I read.

There are mods for DAC1. One of them is to change cheap amps to OPA627. Benchmark tried them and they prefer NE5532. They even show which harmonics got worse. Steve from Empirical Audio says that microdynamics (low level performance) is improved with OPA627. Steve also improves power supply - filtering and decoupling. In spite of -140dB measured S/N of the stock units Steve says that dynamic performance is improved (pulse response). One thing not acceptable to me in mods is removal of upsampling scheme. I don't question that it sounds fine but requires high quality transport a not my $60 DVD player.
On a different topic, but for those who prefer a "more analog" sounding digital sound, I wonder if there is a tubed DAC out there with jitter control features that are in line with the Benchmark?
Good info, Kijanki -- Thanks! In my case, I don't want a warm sounding dac. I'm looking for neutrality and detail, because I have a tube power amp, and also a Classe preamp, which while solid state has a bit of a tube-like character as well.

I don't know the answer to Mapman's question. Anyone else?

MacD -- sorry to have diverted the thread a bit, but I trust you've found my previous answer, and the others that have been posted, to be helpful.

Regards,
-- Al