Yamaha GT-2000 from Japan or local TD-125?

(Cross posted)

Im wondering if anyone has ordered one off Ebay.  The Japanese websites seem pretty legit. I’m really sold on these, I’d say it’s my dream table for now.

Also have a chance to pick up a fully serviced Thorens TD-125 with an SME 3009 locally.  Arm was rewired, but have not been quoted a price since the seller wants to wait until the work is complete.  I’m guessing around the same as  GT2000, likely low to mid 1k’s

Any constructive thoughts are much appreciated.

brecchi

Audiogon is becoming very difficult to work with, their is almost a censorship in place to helping others, when a contributor is attempting to add links.

Valuable posts for a OP with links attached are being thrown out regularly, maybe it is time to leave, as I am not in the forum to be controlled buy a Bot of some type.

I have just been rejected a post that clearly shows in the Link, that excessive sideways movement of the Platter Bearing Spindle will be discovered on the Yamaha GT 2000.

The Photo Evidence also showed what I would refer to as a catastrophic failure of the Bearings Spindle Housing - Sump Cap Thrust Interface.

This Catastrophic Failure could be a design issue or possibly as a result of a substantial impact occurring from the Spindle Ball and Cap.

Eccentric Rotation is occurring when Spindle Sideways movement is evident and speed fluctuations will be discovered if a standalone strobe is utilised. 

The Thrust Interface Ball in this case seen was not scribe damaged, but this is most likely only because limited rotations have happened since the damage has been caused, the Sump Cap damage is seemingly able to enable a lubrication to leach out and become a quite dry environment that would be much better served if operating in a lubricated condition.

Caveat Emptor when buying any type of TT that is from a vintage period. 

Any owner of a Vintage period TT, who is not of the opinion their TT's Platter Spindle Bearing assembly needs to be investigated for condition are deluding themselves.  

Pindac, You've mentioned on other occasions an issue with sideways movement of the spindle particularly with DD TTs, and I responded then (and now) that while I would never say "never", such a problem must be very very rare with DD turntables, since there is no side force on the spindle during use, in contrast to the case for BD and idler-drive turntables.  I don't doubt the one case you cite, but that table must certainly have been abused in some way over the course of time. As to the idea to check the bearing housing of any used TT in general for wear and proper lubrication, I completely agree.

I don't cite one case, I have had experience of more than one Platter Spindle Bearing with a very noticeable sideways movement.

In conjunction with my own experiences I personally know others who have encountered it as well.

My own interest has prompted me to look further and there are plenty of cases discussed on the internet.

What is not so common is the most recent methodology I have adopted to be the corrective measure.

The interest has lead onto other corrective measures to be developed and on the table to be put in place.

Dear @brecchi  : I gave you as an GT 2000 owner a gentleman that is not, my mistake.

You need to contact with @theophile  that's a way experienced owner of the Yamaha GT 2000 and he is an Agoner.

Do it you a favor and wait to see if he chime here on what you need to know.

R.