Giving Advice without recommending your own equipment

I've noticed over the years that you can't ask a general question on Audiogon without getting people answering who with a specific model recommendation.  They  think the answer to every question is to just buy their model.  For example:

OP:  What is the difference between R2R and FPGA DACS.

ans 1:  I have a model x that is R2R and you should just buy it.  it is spectacular.

ans 2:  I have model y what is FPGA and it is spectacutlar.  buy it.

ans 3:  I have model z.  I don't know if it is FPGA, R2R or what, but you should buy it.

ans 4:  I have owned both.  I found the FPGA to have the following attributes..... and the R2R to be more ......  The models i owned were not exactly in the same price range so YMMV.  But my opinion is that I like ______ better.

Which of those answers sound more useful?  I'm just suggesting that your advice is more meaningful if you can refraim from recommending your latest and greatest piece of equipment.   I would totally ignore answers 1 thru 3.  Ans 4 is well thought out and give you a useful opinion.

Sometimes people ask for specific model advice from people who have heard certain models.  Of course 99.9% of the comments come from people who love their model x.  Apparently nobody ever buys something and decides it is not that great (I wonder why there is so much used equipment for sale).  But comments about specific models are appropriate then.

Just a few thoughts about how to navigate theough the forums and sort the wheat from the chaff.  there is lots of good advice here and lots of bad advice and this is more of an example of useless advice and how to avoid giving it.

Jerry

128x128carlsbad2

I recommend nothing, since pursuing SOTA isn't within either my budget nor a requirement imho....  I've a mix of vintage, used, new, and collected items that fulfill my personal 'intent' and desires, and work well enough together to keep me pleased.

I Do pay attention to y'alls' commentary, though...really.

What 'n why, where it works, where it fails, what went *foom* (and the 'perhaps why's'), how much/little expended in $'s or sense....

Somethings get bookmarked...some get more attention than others...

I'll happily tell you what I own, but don't expect anyone to understand why.

As in audio and most of that sort considered:  It's personal, and I don't expect perfection in an imperfect universe...."IMHO", which is apparently universal of us all. ;)

Hence the need to read MULTIPLE replies on forums and product reviews before purchasing any new gear. I first smiled when I read the OP thinking immediately of Aurender. 

Your observations are accurate. You are asking advice from owners. It's unlikely they would miss the opportunity to demonstrate their excellent choices in gear. Instead of seeking impartial advice in this forum, do your own research and supplement your findings with the experiential information the community shares.