Gallium Nitride GaN Class D Amplifiers

In my recent research for a possible upgrade to my current amp (Benchmark (AHB2) I was reading about the new higher end design for Class D. I'm very interested in learning more about these new GaN(Gallium Nitride) designs. Three companies are offering some very well reviewed products and they are not going crazy with Watts per channel:

Orchard Audio offers a 250 watt Amp

AGD a 100 watt

Atmos-Phere also a 100 watt

What's interesting  is while Orchard is a new company AGD and Atmos-Phere have been around a while producing high end Tube amps. In almost every review it is noted how these newer designs sound like Class A or Tubes with all the benefits of Solid State. One reviewer couldn't go back to his tube amps after extended listening to the Orchard. No wonder AGD and Atmos-Phere are getting into this technology. It's very exciting as these amps are highly efficient turning over 90% of the power they draw into sound compared to about 78% with A/B designs and I believe even significantly lower for Class A. They run cool and usually weigh between 10-28lbs. I plan to do more investigation. Small size and light weight with decent power is very attractive. There are also mono block offerings for more power if needed. These are not cheap Class D products. They are well designed and constructed.

Orchard Audio's base model is around $2700and their Dual mono version with larger power supplies is $5500.

Both AGD and Atoms-Phere are $5000

Mono blocks for each are about twice the cost.

Has anyone had any experience, demos, etc ., with these types of GaN Class D amps?

jfrmusic

My Audions are fronted by a Primaluna EVO 400 pre which has been in my stack for 2 years. This sounds good, but in a few weeks supposedly I will be receiving a Holo Audio Serene KTE pre. My DAC is a Holo May KTE, and the Serene is supposed to compliment the May quite well. However, I am a little apprehensive. New Record Day’s Youtube review of the Serene said something to the effect that the Serene took the totally clear window of the May and smashed that window out of the way which is what the Audion already feels like it is doing. Clear I like - "clear light" as in the famous old time LSD could be harmful to your health. LOL

I have the Technics SU-G700M2 which uses GaN FETs and it's really nice sounding. No etch, great extension, slightly warm, lots of PRAT, great tone, you name it, it's got it. A keeper if there ever was one and it got me off the audio merry-go-round.

All the best,
Nonoise

Just commented on your too heavy to lift thread. Do yourself a favor and just find the right amp. I went the GAN Class D route and now sorry other than it will probably be my summertime amp. It just amazes me how to some people they sound like tubes, or even better. They just don’t. Of course that’s just my opinion like everyone else’s. YMMV.

Do yourself a favor and just find the right amp.  I went the Class D route and now sorry other than it will probably be my summertime amp.

@marco1, you have made this comment in different threads.

I respect your opinion, and I made a similar decision, but I hope you won't mind if I ask you to share some details.

It's helpful to readers if specific Class D amplifier(s) are discussed, because akin to other audio components, chip amps (I use the term chip amps, because not all are Class D) don't sound the same. At least the chip amps I've heard in my system had different presentations and characteristics.

Which Class D amp(s) are you referring to that did not meet your expectations?

@tvad The three Class D amps that did not meet my expectations were AGD, Orchard and Atma-sphere, the 3 amps brought up by the OP.  I currently own A/S OTL and Conrad Johnson amps and recently sold some Pass amps all of which I am comparing to.  Over the years I’ve also owned quite a few other amps, both tube and solid state, so I do have some foundation to compare to.  Like I’ve also said in other threads the GAN amps imo are getting close to the sound of tubes.  They’re just not there yet. Whether they ever will is not for me to say.  The easiest way to explain it and what I have also said before is that they don’t have the “soul” of a tube amp. There are of course several pluses.  They’re light weight, run cool, and in some cases a good value if that is what you’re looking for.  Again, sorry to say they just don’t sound like tube amps.  I had hoped they would.