Acoustics

Soliciting insights on "Acoustical Treatment" at the construction level.

I am in the design process of a new home. One of my priorites for this build is a "Dedicated Audio Room". It is what I would classify as Medium in size 21L'x16W'x11H. Helmholts Resonaters have been designed and will be installed in each corner, dedicated circuitry and ground. I work in technology and have engineering resources I can leverage to optimize dimensions and venting to reduce "Room Modes", but not so much for Acoustical Engineering and equally if not more importantly, experience/ familiarity listening to different systems in different enviornments. 

Originally, I was thinking about "Reselient Channels"  around the perimeter and the ceiling, but my Architect believes "Acoustibok" is a better option.

My listening preferrence is in the 70/75 DM range. High sensitivity speakers, Class "A" Amps, Significant focus on "Very Low Noise Floor". I like Cool Jazz, Instrumentals, Prominent Vocals and some Rock from time to time.

There is a threshold between Room Conditioning and going too far. If it makes sense, I would like to retain some liveliness (80/20) and not take the conditoning all the way to a recording studio state. My fear would be going too far and creating a dead space.

Does anyone have experience with either Acoustiblok or Resilient Channels, their charachteristics? I am also open to other suggestions.

Thank you!

128x128mkdm11

@mkddm11,

I finished a dedicated room last year and used isoblok to add mass. No experience with resilient channels although is was seriously considered. I had to keep noise in the room as to not disturb a medical student, then deal with the noise or frequencies within the room so two distinct goals. If you are still in the planning architect phase, best to keep noise in the room is a double wall, air space in between. On the inside wall, to inhibit wall resonance’s We used to great effect, different stud spacing from the outer wall, mass loaded vinyl on the inside wall, then two layers or 5/8 sheet rock sandwiching a layer of green glue. Having different peaks in our roof architecture, I avoided 90 degree angles by vaulting the different peaks. For tone, using wood in the ceiling or walls (many prefer cherry) as an advantage. If windows involved, keep well above listening height and triple pane with unequal space between the panes. Treatment with heavy weight pleated drapes can be added to effect.  After design completion, and you have minimized the rooms ability to create standing waves and suck outs, then  resonators to target specific frequencies. If there are no openings into the home to allow bass waves to escape, and therfore dealing with a sealed environment, then start with and plan on 4 floor to ceiling corner bass traps with diffusors throughout the room.  Expert consultation can also be obtained from acousticsciences. They can assist you with the RP60 so as to not over or under treat your particular room characteristic and design choices. 
The above build I thought superior to resilient channel methodology for my intended purpose. With either method, inside the box will need a bit of post construction expertise. My 2 sense. Have fun. 

@mkdm11   If you are considering the resilient channel, have you looked at incorporating the Genie Clip?  You can google it by name.  Cheers,

BigTwin, Bigwave, Mcroth,

Thank you for taking the time to provide reference and insight, it's very much appreciated.

For context, No windows, 4 corners will be 45 degrees, with "Resonaters" installed in construction. I am intirgued by Acoustiblok, complimented by double Drywall and "Green Glue".

More to consider and research.

Thank you again!!

MKM