Free air, tighter bass - snake oil or cheap tweaks?

Usually when we talk about snake oil it's because some one is out to make a buck on the gullible.  In the case of these tweaks I want to recommend I'm not going to make any money, and you may not spend any either, but I find them useful.

Cover your Speakers

I don't know why a modest change in your acoustics can make such a difference but I usually find that covering my speakers adds a lot of air and room ambiance.  I like to use some thick curtains that I've had from a house a long time ago.  Works really well.

Weigh Your Speakers

I don't mean put them on a scale, but put a weight on top.  Of course, this doesn't apply to those with behemoths.  I find this especially useful with lightweight speakers that are on stands or very small footprints.  Think 2-ways, both bookshelf and floor standers.  I think the additional weight resists the tendency of the woofer to move the box back and forth, creating a kind of Doppler distortion in the bass. In some cases I find this tweak can really make a speaker sound tighter and clearer from the mid-bass downwards.

Clean up the Floor

We often pay attention to the walls, but not the floor, especially behind speakers.  I find that room treatment, cushions and blankets here can really cut out hash I didn't know I had. 

erik_squires

....we can ignore the room for the moment....That becomes a whole discussion of and by itself....

Apply the KISS option... ;)

@asvjerry  If it's something like a Walsh speaker, the bass section provides plenty of area to cover, for an MBL though not so much.

Erik my KLH model 9 are covered with cloth I like the sound.My Norh speakers I have applied felt around the tweeter it Works.Putting weight on top of the speakers helps not much.i go to hardware store for that, I think Marigo has weight but expensive.Some like them.

@jayctoy As far as I'm concerned, any heavy weight (5 lbs or more) would work regardless of how fancy it is.  No need for a Magico brand.

@asvjerry - I think that the reason my curtain idea works is reflections coming off those flat hard surfaces.  If a speaker is a column shaped it's not going to have the same problems to begin with.

Erik if have the means to buy expensive gear I will. For what I have Iam more than satisfied. When I go to axpona and listen to expensive set up one or two will impress me but I don’t miss them.