OCD mickey website and negativity.

I see videos from this individual frequently he's got a show every night almost on YouTube which is live. It's interesting.

I'm not familiar with the brands on his website and he doesn't seem to be happy about lots of stuff. He visits stores and complains about how terrible their equipment is and that no one knows what they're doing without really explaining him himself.

I've learned many things from him but I don't know why his gear that he represents seems lacklustre, I'm not gonna mention it here but maybe I'm wrong. There are many outstanding so-called higher end audio gear that's out there and he doesn't seem to carry any of it.  

emergingsoul

A very good question, does the behavior violate terms of service ? Possibly more importantly does the behavior constitute defamation or slander ?

@hilde45

I just watched the rant you mentioned and crap like that is why I left his channel. I guess he doesn’t know that there are thousands of of threads started here every year a people post on what interests them.  I also guess if you make a mistake, you’re a shill. I guess I’m almost a shill because I have more than 100 posts.

New video was just released tonight by OCD Mikey - it was an audio note gear listening session titled ‘unleashed’. Interesting.

Video was basically pure sound from beginning to end, a bunch of edgy sounds all mixed together and I guess you’d have to be there too appreciate it, maybe.

Personally I really didn’t like it. And would need to be medicated to enjoy it.

Somehow this is intended to demonstrate that audio note can handle anything. Maybe that’s true. I sure wish these listening sessions had commentary explaining why the hell this system sounds different or better than other systems if that’s even possible and if not possible what the hell are they doing this for. Please tell us about the components, and we did learn that parts of what they sell are handmade somewhere in England as if that’s supposed to be helpful.

Basically these are mystery boxes and no one knows what the heck goes on inside them and maybe they sound a bit different from other systems. I guess if you pay someone lots of money for one of these mystery boxes you can trust everything’s OK. For many people it’s just as easy as passing over the plastic card and it’s all yours.

@hilde45 do i need to see it ? [the rant video]

I don’t know. I tried to sum up things early in this thread.

There is an erratic quality to the behavior. On the one hand, making videos which explain and teach about audio -- gear, acoustics, criteria for listening, power, and more. Doing show reports. Talking with others who are knowledgeable. A lot of value in those. At the same time, creating a brand identity as a rogue, truth-teller, bucking the powers-that-be, yada yada yada. Making outrageous videos, calling people shills with their handles on a public facing video, then coming on the very forum he rants against to defend himself and claim his bona fides in the audio industry. -- And on top of it all, running a business where he's also selling audio. So... "outside the industry" while also "inside the industry." Everyone has to pay the bills, but this is surely trying to have it both ways. In my opinion.

For some, the rogue stuff will be dismissible; just part of his schtick. For others, the rogue stuff will seem erratic, volatile, and undermining of his character and judgment about audio in general. Basically, it’s a judgment call.

@emergingsoul 

It is difficult to find a reliable source for information about audio products.  I sympathize with anyone trying to wade through YouTube videos in search of reliable information. My 2 cents worth is this. Search for well organized presentations that include both specifications and impressions. No drama, simple and direct.

hilde45 provided another good summary of reasons I choose to avoid the likes of OCD Mikey.  Digging a little deeper regarding the appearance OCD Mikey plays both sides when it suits him, industry insider or rogue outsider.  Mikey sells cables described as containing materials and construction claimed to be superior, but provides no cogent technical explanation or test data as proof.  Rare earth minerals and a crystal resonating disk provide exactly what scientifically verifiable benefit?  That is exactly the same meaningless hype he rails against.  Guess he thinks only charging a couple thousand dollars instead of 10 thousand dollars make his meaningless hype OK. Regardless, he provides no proof that his cable is any better than a hundred dollar cable. 

OCD Mikey sells expensive audio gear.  The rogue outsider routine cannot be taken seriously.  I would not waste a single minute watching him going forward.