Records and CDs

I’ve just spent a couple of weeks exclusively going through my extensive record collection playing hardly any digital media and have come to some conclusions.
Records are fun and enjoyable to work with, but ultimately for a music lover they’re a dead end. Since very few new titles are being released on records these days I find myself going through mainly old familiar performances. Then there’s the age old problem of comparing the SQ of both media which is maddening. I just today went back to streaming (and CDs.). I clearly see, for me this is the way to continue my listening habits. Records can be used as a diversion but not the main event.

128x128rvpiano

@rvpiano 

the new classical releases on vinyl come from places such as the Berlin Philharmonic house label and are Uber expensive.  To me they represent a cynical attempt to catch well healed customers who have either fallen for the myth of vinyl supremacy or, more likely, wish to have it as pride of ownership but won’t actually be spinning it that much

@rvpiano exactly why I sold my analog setup. Constantly comparing digital vs analog, it’s an arms race. I ended up neither here nor there so I just focused on digital and the funds from selling my table, cartridge, phono amp and cables allowed me to get the digital and amplification chains to a much higher level.
It’s been a while and I don’t miss playing records.

I still feel that vinyl is superior, even though I just upgraded my digital side. (Aurender & Chord). But the convenience of Qobuz digital is hard to beat. 

RV, FWIW, you have now arrived at where I was 10+ years ago. Vinyl had actually become more of a distraction than anything else. Great sonics (and some performances) on a few records, but when I played them I was more in awe of the sounds than the music. Bad reason for listening I thought. So I gave my records and system to a relative and I got all that I could no longer get, a refocusing on the music. Frankly I don’t really miss them and I’m able to spend my time discovering new (to me) music and enjoying what I already have. And because of age (hearing issues and audio limitations) I have focused on chamber music and solo instruments, mostly piano. I never really was that fond of orchestral due to recording limitations as well as the reality of having Mahler in my living room. I saved serious listening for the concert hall.

Perhaps it’s time to take Thoreau’s advice. Simplify! :-)

@yogiboy

I don’t know why there is an either/or dichotomy with analog and digital in my head. Others in this forum have experienced the same dilemma. Somehow they won’t peacefully exist. It would be nice if I could have it both ways.