Most musical player or DAC?

Forgive up front if there is other(s) threads on this. Thanks in advance for posting links if you know of them. I'm looking for a "musical" CD player or DAC. I've been through 4 cd players so far, they were all nice in some respects, but none have really grabbed me by the heartstrings (or lapels) and stopped me in my tracks with musicality. Don't know if I should be looking for a tubed variety or not. All I know is I want something that moves me. A very 3D soundstage, unbelievable midrange, good extension at the extremes. I would rather have romantic over detailed and analytical, but transparency and a sense of air would I think be also in the mix. Nothing laid back either, I want something that engages.

My listening tastes are rock, Soul, acoustic w/vocals (male/female), blues, R&B, a bit of electronica.

Any thoughts and experiences are appreciated.
tholt
If on a budget, Rega Planet, if you can spend more go for Audio Aero Capitole, the most analog, natural and musical player I know.
I've owned Wadias, Audio Aero Capitole, Ayre D1xe, Wavelength Cosecant, all pretty pricey players and DACs, some over 10K. My favorite digital gear of them all has been the 500 dollar MHDT Paradisea+ DAC. If you want a musical DAC under a grand you've got to try this one out.
I've heard about the MHDT. Did a little research based on another thread here. This may be inching closer to happening.
I'd second the MHDT Havana (and the paradisea if it's anything close in sound to the havana which I hear it is). I bought one a little over a month ago, feeding it via an Empirical Audio Turbo-3 USB converter. Very, very musical DAC after owning a Benchmark DAC1 for nearly a year. Though it's definitely not a cure-all if someone is unhappy with the overall sound of their system...