vibration control - cd player

Hi all-

I've got a new Hegel Viking cd player here which is quite nice.  At the moment, it's sitting inside an Ikea cabinet.  The feet have a sort of small isonodes rubber piece. Is that sufficient?  Do I eventually want to invest in something like a Harmonic Resolutions platform?  Or the little EVP squares?  Or something else?  (A real audio stand is not an option in my very small room.)

Thanks for any advice.

Margot

mcanaday

I've been using the extremely affordable, but extremely effective Vibrapod pucks and cones on all my components for over 15 years.  Really, no need to spend exorbitant amounts of money on isolation .  The Vibrapods will get the job done and at an extremely reasonable price, too.

I also have equipment hidden in a Drexel Heritage wall unit achieve a low WAF.  Together with suspended floors it is not optimal with regard to vibration.   However, while expensive, I have had much success and improved SQ with judicious attention to vibration control.  Tried some low cost products like Vibrapods with some improvement.  Noticeable improvement was realized with Symposium Shelves in combination with Roller Block Jrs.  Improvement  was signing on front end digital equipment and less so as you go down the path to the amplifier.  Expensive but worth it in my opinion.  If you cannot spring for the shelves, then you can just add the blocks, but together they work best. The usual improvements will be realized - quieter/blacker background resulting in a more relaxed presentation, better detail retrieval, better imaging and staging, and more natural timbre.  

The best vibration control according to most engineers is springs. You can pay a lot or very little if you buy on Aliexpress.

Yes, it is very likely your player can benefit significantly from vibration control. How much will depend on the rest of your system. So it would be helpful to know what the rest of your system is. There is a place under your ID to post photos and ID components. That is really helpful for us to help.

It is a light weight player, so it is unlikely to have benefited maximizing internal vibration control. Even players at twice the weight or more benefit from vibration control. Springs perform really well on massive players because of their inertia. It is likely platforms will work really well… although most are expensive. Pucks, vibrapods, cones, etc. must generally be tried to find out what works best.

Is your stand on a concrete floor, or suspended? This is likely to influence what works best as well. A purpose built audio stand will also help. It will be ridged and solid. This need not cost a fortune… but a solidly built stand is the best foundation.

Hi all-

Thanks for all the good ideas and I'm happy to provide more details on my system.  The cd player (Hegel Viking) is 16 pounds.  It sits on a shelf in a built in wood cabinet (not audio equipment).  The room is small -9 by 11- and there is no possibility of putting a real audio rack in it.  The Viking is connect to a Brinkmann Vollverstärker amplifier, and that powers Trenner and Fried Suns (sitting on Sound Anchor stands).  Cables, interconnects, and power cords are Triode Wire Cables.  

Many thanks! Margot