Streaming Curious

I'm a vinyl listener that plays an occasional CD.  Im interested in trying out a streaming service and wonder if the Bluesound Node would be a good testing vehicle for me.  My main objective will be to see if the modern interface is really compelling, but SQ will obviously influence my decision.  I have an Air Tight ATM-300 amp and DeVore O/96 speakers, so I'm concerned it might not show off digital very well...?

Frank

128x128fburkeen

Thanks to all...  The Node is on CL for 1/2 price.  It's the current version (3) and essentially new.  For the price I think I'll give it a try.  I can put it in the shop later and stream some variety out there even if it doesn't lead to a better SQ streamer.

I really like the vinyl ritual and listening to an entire album or at least a side...  even with the CD remote I tend to jump around and feel less satisfied when I'm done listening, so I'm really just seeing if this class of source is interesting or overly distracting for me at this point.

Thanks again

OP -- you mentioned a desire to test drive a "modern interface." I think your idea of getting simple hardware (the Node at a good price on CL) is great. After you’ve had it for a month or two, and are familiar with the BluOS app, I’d encourage you, like @nekoaudio did, to do the free trial of Roon. If you’re the kind of person who can go down a rabbit hole of "XXX played bass on album YYY; what else did he play on?", "what else has ZZZ produced?", "I didn’t know AAA and BBB collaborated together", etc., then you will love Roon. Agree on Qobuz as a streaming subscription. Don’t get ambitious with upgrading hardware until you know you will like streaming. For me, it was game-changing...

I'd like to renew the discussion a bit and focus more on where I'd want to look to get similar SQ to my vinyl setup.  I've heard a few streamers and in general think they sound very compressed and 2D.  The depth and air of vinyl is completely absent I feel.  From what I read, you can get very analog-like resolution from digital, but the last vapors of signal are what I'm not sure of when you make it digital.  I'd like to do some research and listen to something I'd actually be happy with back to back with vinyl on my setup.

I really don't know much about streamer/DAC separates or integrated.  I'm going to try the Bluenote, but think I'll start looking for a higher SQ replacement now just in case.  I like to get used equipment if I can, but it's not mandatory.  Suggestions welcomed...

I've heard a few streamers and in general think they sound very compressed and 2D.  The depth and air of vinyl is completely absent I feel.

Sorry, but this seems a bit silly to me.  How much do you have invested in your vinyl equipment?  And you think investing 500 bucks on a cheap streamer is going to compare to a vinyl rig?  Get real dude.  Pony up for a good streamer or you’re just setting yourself up for disappointment.

OP,

So what is your current vinyl rig and phonostage… and the rest of your system? We really need to know to be of any help. There is a place to put photos and ID your equipment under create virtual systems. That would be really helpful.