Aurender Model Choices

Before I ask my question let me provide some context.

My system includes the following:

New MacBook Air Running itunes/Music serving hundreds of stored CDs

Macbook connected to my Benchmark DAC3 via Audioquest Coffee USB Cable

DAC balanced connection to Benchmark HPA4 PreAmp

PreAmp balanced connection to Benchmark ABH2 Amp

Benchmark Amp connected to Harbeth C7es-XD Speakers

This configuration has provided a neutral clean, and balanced sound. Really no complaints. However I wanted to add Streaming. So I Signed up for Qobuz and downloaded the App to my MacBook. Using WiFi I found that the Qobuz stream offered superior sound quality to my local CD library. Even Redbook CD quality was better plus the HiRes albums were really good

So now I need to get a dedicated Streamer. Using the MacBook is not convenient and from what I’ve read a Streamer should offer additional SQ enhancement. I’ve done a lot of research and really like the Aurender products plus when I recently purchased my speakers I auditioned them with an Aurender Model 100. The sound was excellent. I plan to go back in a few weeks to audition the $6k N200 model. I’m sure it will sound very good but I will be left wondering what does the N20 sound like? How much better can it be for another $6K? Unfortunately my dealer doesn’t have one to audition and neither does any other dealer near me. I’ve read comments on several forums that the N20 is twice as good as the N200 or that the N200 is nipping at the heals of the N20 or that the N20 just offers a 20% increase in SQ or the N20 blows the N200 out of the water. Without a side by side audition I’m struggling with paying twice the price without a demonstrable and significant SQ improvement. I would expect a SQ that once heard I could never settle for the less expensive model. In my recent experience a more expensive model does’t always win. When buying my speakers I auditioned the Harbeth C7es-XD and the more expensive 30.2 XD model. After almost an hour of back and forth I preferred the lower priced model.

So to conclude has anyone had the opportunity to audition the N20 and N200 together?

If so please Specifically what if any SQ differences did you hear and were they worth an additional $6k?

As I listen to my system streaming from my MacBook with wonderfully smooth, clean HiRes sound  I wonder can I actually get significantly more improvement for $6k or $12K?

Thanks for any info and experiences you can provide.

jfrmusic

@jfrmusic 

I am going to forward my dealer info via PM. Please check with him directly on any favorable pricing. 

...or, try the N150 and add a couple of RELs.

In a side by side comparison in my home, my 30.2XDs with 2 REL T/9x's stood up very well against my 40.3's on their own.  

@macg19 

Actually I just sold my two REL T/5x subs. I just could not get them smoothly integrated with my Harbeth C7s. Probably because the low end of the C7 is only down 3db at 45hz. Tried a variety of combinations of Crossover/Volume. Felt they just negatively impacted the natural soundstage of the C7s which have perfectly adequate bass down to 40hz. With my Spectrum analyzer I can even see some below 35hz output. The C7s just sounded more open and holographic without the subs. The RELs are really low bass reinforcement rather than true subs with their sweet spot around 35-42hz. So I think they were just mudding up the C7 low end.

Cool. As always, everything is room, system and music preference dependent.

In my case I have a large open-plan space to fill (no dedicated listening room) so the bigger RELs worked really well for me with the small Harbeth's.