The new Coda S5.5 amplifier: It's a "Petite Beast"!

I have in-house the New Coda Technologies S5.5 amplifier for review for Stereo Times website. It will be awhile before I write the review. However, I'm so impressed by the performance of this petite amplifier, it only weights 45 pounds, that I wanted to give a heads up to you GON members if you are in the market for a balanced pure class A amplifier, delivers 50 watts @ 8 Ohms, and can drop 100 Amperes of current on a peak!

The world class build quality of Coda amplifiers is on display with the S5.5, along with the most beautiful purity of tonality, precise sound-staging, complete liquidity offered by pure class A design, and what might be the best top end regarding details, decays, and a natural shimmering without brightness or any edge at all.

The S5.5 uses extremely wide bandwidth output transistors instead of the usual TO3 devices used in most transistor designs. I own the Coda #16, which is great, but the midrange/high end is taken to another level of musical enjoyment with the S5.5. The S5.5 has a sense of speed/aliveness that is exciting to listen to that you experience in live music. The amp is dynamic as hell, has driven with ease any speaker I have tried it with, hence my nickname of the "Petite Beast". Remember, 50 watts pure class A, can drop 100 amperes of current and only weights 45 pounds.

Teajay (Terry London)

johnah5

I recently tried 3 different speaker cables with the CODA #16 | Holo Serene preamp | Yamaha NS5000 speaker.

• WyWire Platimun speaker cable
  • WyWire Diamond speaker cable
  • Audience FrontRow speaker cable

I also tried a Benchmark AHB2 on the same system and tried the same cables as above (except WyWire Diamond) plus the following:

• Benchmark speaker cable.
  • Audience AU24 SX (too short for the CODA #16)

All of these cables had issues, fatigue, lack of clarity, except the Audience FrontRow. I was not 100% happy with the #16 previously because the AHB2 was better in some ways, such as clarity. However, after using the FrontRow the #16 really became more detailed and cleaner sounding. Closer to the AHB2 in that regard.

So, in my experience the speaker cables matter a lot for the CODA #16, When I had the CODA #8, I used very short Audience FrontRow cables for a headphone setup and those cables also made a huge improvement.

BTW - CODA No. 16 Amplifier (100w Class A) For Sale - US Audio Mart

I find the comments regarding Class D amps lacking “soul” very interesting when compared to good Class A or AB SS amps and tube amps. I recently purchased some Class D mono blocks to be used in lieu of tubes during the summer and could not describe the difference any better. I think Class D have come a long way in the last few years, but also feel they have a ways to go.

@yyzsantabarbara I am now the proud owner of that Coda 16, and my initial listening impressions are pretty stunned for the positive. I saw you share that and didn’t chime in to jinx anything until I bought it!

Compared to the JC5, everything is better. It was substantial enough where even my wife unsolicited was impressed. I didn't expect such a dramatic change just switching amps. I’ll continue listening and share as I go.

@christianb5s4 The #16 definitely is a great amp. Now that I found some speaker cables that do not mess up the sound, I have no complaints with the #16.

I actually had my #16 up for sale at the same price a month ago but I pulled the ad after the speaker cables were sorted out.

Just looked up your gear. The #16 will play very nicely with that gear. I had a CODA 07x preamp at one time, which is likely similar to your PASS, it was a nice pairing.