Questions Regarding Installing a Wheaton Triplanar On A SOTA Cosmos

As luck would have it I recently acquired a Wheaton Triplanar VII U2, and am waiting on it being shipped. So at this point I am trying to decide what the most favorable table to mount it on, and what arm gets replaced. I have a SOTA Cosmos Eclipse with a SME V on it, and that would be my preferred place to install it. The only thing is this Triplanar has the arm cable extending out the back of the arm pillar instead of routed out the bottom of it. I have to assume the cable is going to have to be routed on top of the arm board and then over the edge into the body of the Cosmos. Not wild about that but do not see any other options other than drilling a 1/4 hole and routing the cable through it. Anyone have any experiences to share if they have installed it on a SOTA table?

My second alternative is to put the arm on my Scheu in place of a Dynavector DV505 I have. That is certainly a straightforward option, with no issues to be solved. However, I have never been fond of the SME V on the SOTA, so this would be my first choice. 

neonknight

I was pipped to the post, see the Link, and another source produces a P'holz Platter for the Garrard 301.

I am from the school where certain materials are at there best if Homogenous, but 3D printing and the substrates that can be used are slowly changing my school of thought. As stated recently the audio industry or DIY entity are very close to seeing structures produced from mycelium spores being formed into structures. If it good enough for Formula One it has a place everywhere that needs eco friendly structures to be produced.

Houses are being produced out of mycelium blocks in earthquake areas, as the blocks have energy dissipation that surpasses other typical and affordable building materials.  

My own SP10 Mk II as a Kaneta Design, will be tried out with a stacked Platter using different configurations for the Stack.

There will be original platter on original platter, the same again with top platter filled with Newplast Modellers Putty (Newplast measures as a damping material very similar to a Resin Impregnated Densified Wood), Acetal is already available to be machined as a top plater, Phosphor Bronze and SS are both available as Platters which can be used as a sub or top platter, P'holz is another, which is already discussed to be considered, but I think will be a later down the line introduction. 

As for the Verismo, I am very keen to hear it in use and have a offer to be demo'd it in a Home System. I will revisit the invite very soon, to see what can be arranged.

Ortofon are spearheading the R&D into Damper Design, I see Damper materials as the most influential material on a sound that can be produced, followed by the tensioning of the Armature into the Damper. 

The Verismo has a bespoke produced Damper, hence my keenness to learn of the influence from this Damper type. I am not aware of it being used on any other Cart's from the Brand.

I myself have a Ortofon Cart' from a earlier period and one which is lower down in  the range. This Cart' has been modified with a TOTR WRD under its hood. This has been compared to the same design as the original and the same design as rebuild.

My Cart' stands out for the quality of sound being produced in a comparison and only becomes a slight different sound, but not bettered when compared to a much more expensive Cart' in the Ortofon range 

I don't see any other Cart' producer competing with Ortofon in the near future, there research and designs are now funded by a owned subsidiary producing micro rubber parts for the medical industry.

I get the impression the Ortofon Brand, will be trouncing their competitors  when it comes to sales proportion on the Pie Chart. 

The real let down, is the Company has now stopped all the old opportunities for a  certain selected group of Third Party Services to buy parts from them.   

@neonknight The Tri Planar will not fit on a Cosmos, not even close. The two best arms that will fit are the Kuzma 4 Point 9 and my personal favorite, the Schroder CB. The CB is way more sophisticated than it looks which is deceptively simple. Peter Ledermann is a huge Schroder supporter. 

@pindac I can not argue about Ortofon, The MC Diamond is a great cartridge and I expect the Verismo does not sound much different. They are very low output and require a very quiet phono stage. Ortofon has a presence in the market that no other company can match. Having said this, I have to say that I am pleasantly pleased with the Soundsmith cartridges I have owned in terms of quality, performance and support. The Hyperion MR is easily up there in performance with the Lyra Atlas SL and the MC Diamond. The Stylus on the Hyperion MR is a real piece of work. You can see it here 

@pindac I think good platters can be made of many different materials. Of greater importance is the quality of the bearing and the interface between the record and the platter. To pass energy to the platter efficiently the mat has to have the same mechanical impedance as vinyl and the record has to be glued to the mat along it's entire playing surface and the mat glued to the platter. In this way the platter captures the opposing forces created by the stylus bouncing around with the groove. With a good cartridge and arm there should be no, or almost no needle talk. This is one of the hallmarks of a great record playing system. If you hear needle talk with your ear one foot away from the stylus tracking the record you have work to do. I have never listened to a turntable that I could not hear needle talk with an ear 4" from the stylus tracking the record. It should however be very faint.

And yet there are those devoted to mats that barely make contact with the LP, like the Resomat or certain cork mats. There’s no accounting for individual taste and rule making is futile.