Questions Regarding Installing a Wheaton Triplanar On A SOTA Cosmos

As luck would have it I recently acquired a Wheaton Triplanar VII U2, and am waiting on it being shipped. So at this point I am trying to decide what the most favorable table to mount it on, and what arm gets replaced. I have a SOTA Cosmos Eclipse with a SME V on it, and that would be my preferred place to install it. The only thing is this Triplanar has the arm cable extending out the back of the arm pillar instead of routed out the bottom of it. I have to assume the cable is going to have to be routed on top of the arm board and then over the edge into the body of the Cosmos. Not wild about that but do not see any other options other than drilling a 1/4 hole and routing the cable through it. Anyone have any experiences to share if they have installed it on a SOTA table?

My second alternative is to put the arm on my Scheu in place of a Dynavector DV505 I have. That is certainly a straightforward option, with no issues to be solved. However, I have never been fond of the SME V on the SOTA, so this would be my first choice. 

neonknight

Lots of SP10 Mk3 users have removed the motor assembly from the base chassis and re-installed the motor only in a plinth that permits the coupling you describe.  I have nearly achieved the same thing without doing that in my home made plinth, but I do wish I had had the guts to just pull the motor.  Steve Dobbins was the first to do it commercially and make a plinth to go with.  But this is a sidebar to the question at hand.

Albert Porter's Panzerholz re-plinth does not involve removing the motor assembly from the square chassis. So his plinth is certainly superior to the Technics plinths made for the SP10 Mk2 or Mk3 but is still subject to the issue of which you speak. He deals with that by installing a block of solid iron below the TT.  There is a threaded rod (steel or whatever) that screws into the iron block and is adjusted to fit snugly up against the base of the bearing housing.  The block is firmly coupled to the chassis, as is the tonearm.  I've done the same thing in my home made slate and cherrywood plinth, but I used brass instead of iron; I did not like the idea of installing such a massive piece of iron so close to the permanent magnet that constitutes the rotor of the motor.

There is not many I know apart from Five inclusive of myself, who have experienced in side by side comparisons, a Same TT, TA, Cart’ with same Sub -Mounting, where three TT were used, with one set in a Marine Plywood Plinth another in a Compressed Plywood Plinth and the other in a P’holz Plinth.

My own evaluation was in keeping with others who experienced the Demo’s, which is P’holz has the most attractive influence, if one wants all the details to be laid out and easily detected.

If one wants noticeable Colouration Marine Plywood is the choice to make, if one wants a tidied up sound over Plywood, a compressed plywood is quite suitable.

P’holz is King and difficult to not use once experienced, especially following comparative experiences. Other options are seemingly firing on Three Cylinders only.

Removal of Stator and Bearing assembly from it’s metal chassis and embedding it into a Panzerholz Chassis/Plinth is all the rage in my little world of SP10 Mk II’s.

I have a box next to me now with a recently imported Stator/Motor contained, as gift to a friend.

I’m also able to use the same design, but not yet set in to a P’holz Plinth.

P’holz or Permali as the exchange material to the Aluminium Base on a Sota, will in my view transform it.

The Bearing on a Sota can also be much improved, even beyond the later guises developed, that took care of the serious flaws discovered after short term usage of original designs.

Bearings are at there best when rotating with an extremely true axis, ( think very low microns), extremely low coefficient of friction (think 0.03 - 0.08) and measures adopted to avoid a Metal on Metal contact within the bearing assembly. Such a bearing design can cost one multiple $0000’s or fortunately in many cases much less to attain, it depends on how one goes about getting to this level of performance.,

In relation to this thread, I am quite interested to see if this new TA, is one with the performance to show as a comparison how constraining the SME V is, as an influence on how a recording is perceived when being replayed.

TT’s hey, either loved or loathed.

Good Lord @pindac you shall be soon constructing the platter out of Panzer H.

But we are divergent from our intrepid OP who has other fish to fry.

OP - so i assume you have the tool to drill armboard ?

Ive heard the Verismo at some lengths on excellent arms both a Kuzma 4 pt and a Safir…i think you will like it on the TP… Best in music to you.

Jim

I was pipped to the post, see the Link, and another source produces a P'holz Platter for the Garrard 301.

I am from the school where certain materials are at there best if Homogenous, but 3D printing and the substrates that can be used are slowly changing my school of thought. As stated recently the audio industry or DIY entity are very close to seeing structures produced from mycelium spores being formed into structures. If it good enough for Formula One it has a place everywhere that needs eco friendly structures to be produced.

Houses are being produced out of mycelium blocks in earthquake areas, as the blocks have energy dissipation that surpasses other typical and affordable building materials.  

My own SP10 Mk II as a Kaneta Design, will be tried out with a stacked Platter using different configurations for the Stack.

There will be original platter on original platter, the same again with top platter filled with Newplast Modellers Putty (Newplast measures as a damping material very similar to a Resin Impregnated Densified Wood), Acetal is already available to be machined as a top plater, Phosphor Bronze and SS are both available as Platters which can be used as a sub or top platter, P'holz is another, which is already discussed to be considered, but I think will be a later down the line introduction. 

As for the Verismo, I am very keen to hear it in use and have a offer to be demo'd it in a Home System. I will revisit the invite very soon, to see what can be arranged.

Ortofon are spearheading the R&D into Damper Design, I see Damper materials as the most influential material on a sound that can be produced, followed by the tensioning of the Armature into the Damper. 

The Verismo has a bespoke produced Damper, hence my keenness to learn of the influence from this Damper type. I am not aware of it being used on any other Cart's from the Brand.

I myself have a Ortofon Cart' from a earlier period and one which is lower down in  the range. This Cart' has been modified with a TOTR WRD under its hood. This has been compared to the same design as the original and the same design as rebuild.

My Cart' stands out for the quality of sound being produced in a comparison and only becomes a slight different sound, but not bettered when compared to a much more expensive Cart' in the Ortofon range 

I don't see any other Cart' producer competing with Ortofon in the near future, there research and designs are now funded by a owned subsidiary producing micro rubber parts for the medical industry.

I get the impression the Ortofon Brand, will be trouncing their competitors  when it comes to sales proportion on the Pie Chart. 

The real let down, is the Company has now stopped all the old opportunities for a  certain selected group of Third Party Services to buy parts from them.