Looking for 200 watt Amp to drive Dynaudio Heritage speakers

Hi Everyone - 

BACKGROUND 

A few years ago, during Covid and after having worked for so many years without really treating myself to a sound system, I took the plunge and started purchasing audio equipment. Unfortunately, I was a terribly uninformed audio buyer and dove in with some purchases that were not terribly well considered. Oh well. 

So here we are today... I have a pair of Dynaudio Heritage Special speakers that I was considering selling.

The Dynaudio Heritage Special speakers require power to open up. Driven at 100 watts, they sound a little anemic and the treble dominates at lower levels. So they ended up in the closet for the last year with plans to sell them. In retrospect, the dealer I purchased them suggested a lower wattage amp than was advisable. 

For my primary system, I'm now running QLN Prestige Three speakers with a Conrad Johnson Classic 120 EL34 amp, LTA Microzotl preamp, Merason DAC1 and Innuos Zenith. The sound of this system is wonderful - ethereal, nuanced, great soundstage and imaging. Very relaxing combo. 

I'm thinking of cycling the Dynaudio into circulation for a few months a year to change things up. I'm looking for a 200 Watt Solid State Amp. But here's the thing, I'm getting older and lugging heavy things around - especially when stairs are part of the equation - is terribly unappealing. 50-55 pounds is pretty much my limit right now.  

I had some Pass Labs amps in for home demos and the thing was a back breaker. I think it was 80 pounds or so. My days of pseudo body building are over... so lugging that thing up and down stairs is something I NEVER want to do again. 

QUESTION FOR THE FORUM 

Can anyone suggest a reasonably priced solid state 200 watt SS amp - no more than 50-55 pounds - that I can use to enjoy these Dynaudio Heritage Speakers? Class AB or Class D, obviously. For weight considerations, I'm really open to a Class D amp, assuming it sounds good. 

Budget is $5K or under - new or used. 

In terms of what I'm looking for - and given my weight requirements - I'd say the primary thing I'm looking to avoid is overt brightness. Otherwise, I'm pretty open to what suggestions the forum might have. Thanks in advance! 

128x128bluethinker

The NCx500 mono block from Hypex provides high power, high fidelity Class D amplification. It offers extreme power with finesse, precision and ultra low noise, in a very small and light form factor.

Htpex NCx500 Class D

Deer Creek Audio in an authorized Hypex dealer.

@bluethinker Remembering what led up to your purchase of the CJ amp, I think as you’ve already found you’ll be hard pressed to do better than the CJ amp you already have and your Dynaudio Heritage Specials.  That is assuming you’re getting enough volume with the CJ amp and Dynaudio, which you should be unless you’re trying to melt the paint off your walls or you’re ready to invest a sizable sum in both your new SS amp and a gym membership.  A better approach might be adding a sub if you find after a while you need more bass with the Dynaudio.  I also don’t  believe you’ll get there with Class D amps  knowing what I’ve recently found after purchasing them myself and what you’re expecting sound wise from your amp despite claims of Class D now sounding like tubes.  They’re close but just don’t sound like tubes imo, particularly el34’s. 

@bluethinker Check out the thread about the Coda 5.5.  I’m not personally familiar with Coda but they get a lot of very good press.  Also, weight and heat wise seem to be right on the line of what may be manageable for most people.  The comments regarding Class D lacking “soul” is what was most interesting to me as I very much feel the same way when comparing my new Class D amp to either the tube or Class AB Solid State amps I also currently use in my systems.

The comments regarding Class D lacking “soul” is what was most interesting to me as I very much feel the same way when comparing my new Class D amp to either the tube or Class AB Solid State amps I also currently use in my systems.

@marco1 That has nothing to do with the class of operation and everything to do with how the class D amp is designed.