Some cartridge recommendations

I have recently acquired a Panasonic SP-10 TT with an Ortofon MC10 cartridge. I am using the phono section of my Modwright 225I for phono play back. I am thinking a more modern MC cart would be a better choice. The tone arm is a SME 3009 series II improved. I am new enough at vinyl playback that I am not sure what a good match for a cart would be. Any comments would be appreciated, thanks.

backwash

Dear @backwash  : Your SUT it's just not up to the task for quality. You need at least the Ortofon T-20 por the Denon AU-340, any of these will makes a quality way differences for the better.

Other thing that could improve your analog quality level is to make a check up to the cartridge/tonearm set up in parameters as: offset angle, overhang, etc that need to stay spot-on according the protractor you use. You can too fine tunning the sound " playing " alittle with the cartridge VTA

mijostyn, nominal output of the MC-10 is 0.1mv.

R.

Dear @backwash  : "  compared to streaming Qbuz  ". Today not only digital beats ecven top analog alternative that you should not make comparisons in between due that the signal sound that you listen is proccessed in two way different ways that are not comparable in between: apples vs bananas..

Now you can improve your analog quality level response if you change the cartridge ( MC10 ) for a MM/MI new cartridge that does not needs SUT and today MM are really good. This one can do for you:

Backwash, just to revisit the question of phono gain, you say your Modwright has MM and MC inputs. Then you go on to say gain is fixed at 50 db. That is not enough gain far an average LOMC cartridge, and it is way short of adequate for the MC10, which is among the lowest of LOMCs. If you move forward with this cartridge you are correct in thinking you need a SUT or some other way of supplementing total gain (e.g., a head amp or a current driven gain stage). If a SUT, you need at least a 1:20 turns ratio. Make sure you have enough gain before proceeding to conclude that vinyl is not worth the effort.

I may not be saying the right thing. It defiantly has fixed gain at 50 db. The cartridge loading in Ohms is very adjustable. I think have come to realize that with the gain fixed at 50db I need to look for high or medium output MC carts or stick with MM. The feedback I get is the Ortofon SUT I have is pretty obsolete and likely holding things back. It says STM 83 on the side. 

AT-OC9XML.  Best bang for the buck.  Hard to find anything better for less than three times its cost.  Should work quite well with your arm.  Fairly easy to set up.

Very good tracking.  A little fussy with VTA.  Stylus has a good life span with normal care and VTF.

FITS WELL INTO YOUR BUDGET.