Battle of the Open Baffles

Watching Jay's video today about the Maco Acoustics speakers, and saw the Caladan's late last year.  Seems like open baffle death match is brewing...

kro77

I totally get the Post from @ricevs, there is so much to be had when the Drivers are selected using the monies saved from the avoiding the 'mark up' created by commercial ventures. 

Off setting the costs that can be incurred to much better components, catapults a design into a new level of being competitive with much much more expensive models available.

When a 'Build Your Own' model is on offer as a design produced by an individual with credentials that are not questionable when it comes to producing Audio Devices, and build support is readily at hand, the novice has now become quite smart, and their only skills needed are reduced to be ones where a little manual work is required along with basics in soldering.

Either of the above basic skills can be found not too far from a home as a supporting service, so not being too confident should not be a blocker to make in roads to the new discoveries to be had.

The Link will show a Speaker that comes with all the Pedigree that one could want behind the design, the Baffle has a little more complexity than a typical OB, but is already produced to the point of being assembled, there is history to show there is no shortage of build support to be had from the Designer.

Have a listen to Speaker in Post 163, it will hopefully stimulate the want to read through the whole of the Thread. 

I am building the XDS and really hope I can get them to work in my very limited place of residence, full time RV. I added 1.5 to the rear length and stiffened it up greatly so I could have enough space behind them or any speaker design I find the best. I have highly upgraded Edgarhorn Slimlines I would love to use but have little faith will work in this place and a bit big but can work around that, I at least have to try them. I also plan to build other types of speakers until I find the best solution but do love OB, and horns, the best by far.

I opted to go with eight 8" drivers per side instead of the 6.5s to try to get more bass, no sub, now I am thinking of going back to the 6.5s and building very shallow corner subs into place for the two Image Dynamics ID15's I have in storage. I used to use 4 of them in my house, sealed, tons of power, amazing really. Before than I had two of them in a massive horn loaded enclosure that was a major eyesore but they would massage your feet on the other side of house, huge and exceptional clean output.

No room for OB subs or really big OB speakers with dual 15's, etc....but the 8x8 setup would have far more output than needed but might not go as low as I want. The 8x6.5 would  pair with the dual 15's and result in a smaller footprint.

I am considering getting a Claro walnut slab to build the front of the baffle and 3/4 for the sides.

Rick

I have five 6x30 watt AB amps, can be bridged to 4x60 +2x30, etc...so looking at starting out all active until final speaker selection is done. Evenutally I would like to use an SET amp, or at least mids and tweets on the system.

Here is a list of things that could be improved on the XSD

1. Drivers are not time aligned.

2. No felting around the mids and highs.....so diffraction city.

3. The mids and woofs are not wired to the voice coil wires....tabs? you have to be kidding.

4. Wire is average.....so are all the xover parts.

5. Way too complicated and hard to build. Too much wood to throw away once you realize this is NOT where it is at.....he he.

Now compare this to the speaker I am talking about. You can build it in one day ($1500 total cost using super wire and parts), 18 inches wide, bass to 30hz.......93db sensitive.....fully dipole.....time aligned....felted......one amp does the whole enchilada.....of course, you could bi-amp as described on my webite and also make a line source of planars for more output, lower distortion and more vertical dispersion. If 18 inhes is too wide then make the baffle 13 inches wide and use slightly angled out wings on the bottom to extend the bass response to match an 18 inch wide baffle.

Markmuse. Would love to hear your input on the Caladans. I just received and assembled them on Wednesday, but left for vacation the next day…..haven’t even had a chance to hook them up, much less give them a listen.