I want to replace the router/modem Comcast with a high quality for streaming

I wish to purchase a modem/ router for streaming high quality audio. Any suggestions? It must be compatible with Comcast/Xfinity

nyonalake

Honestly haven't paid for cable TV in at least 10 years.  Everything I want to watch is on a streaming service.  I had Sling for a while, but forcing me to buy news channels as a bundle instead of picking one or the other was a deal breaker.

hello ​​​@erik_squires,

makes sense now that I see you run ethernet out of your wifi router / switch.

as I have Verizon fios  fiber running into my garage, may I assume that it is relatively free of lightening surge risk?  I also have whole house surge protection on my main meter.

I recently had my ISP install the most recent router they have available for their customers: Calix. I was surprised to see and hear significant improvements in the video and audio performance on my television and the audio delivered from my Aurender streamer. I had no expectation that the router would affect system performance at all, let alone so significantly.

For reasons not worth going into here, the Calix does not work for me in my current home. So, having observed that their router made an obvious and easily detectable difference in the delivery of audio and video information, I decided to buy three different routers to determine which offered the best performance for me in my home and with my system: Eero 6 mesh, tp-link axe5400 mesh, and tp-link axe7800 gaming router. All three resolved the technical problem I had with the Calix, but their handling of audio and video differed significantly. Without belaboring the point with too much detail, the two mesh systems’ performance were approximately equal to that of the Calix. But, the TP link gaming router delivered significantly better audio and video services than any of the other three. At the $159 Black Friday price, it was one of the cheapest, yet effective tweaks I’ve made to my system in years. I highly recommend it.

@hce1 

"But, the TP link gaming router delivered significantly better audio and video services than any of the other three."

I am curious, would you describe specifically how the TP link gaming router made your audio system sound better (i.e., which sonic attributes of your system improved and in what way)?

Xfinity has a list of compatible modems on their website somewhere.

Xfinity pricing is bizarre. All I wanna do is exclude all the premium channels that are bundled including a Netflix subscription I don't use I make an effort to do this they say they're gonna charge me overall $50 more per month. A substantial increase just to reduce the level of services.

The equipment charges along with those broadcast fees are getting quite crazy.

Price and I do have a separate modem and router that I don't have to rent but they do have compatibility issues so you need to check very carefully.