Synergy

Some months ago I upgraded my analog system extensively. My salesman recommended the Hana ML cartridge which I know is very highly thought of. I had been using the Clearaudio Virtuoso cartridge which I accidentally destroyed, I sent the Virtuoso out to be retipped by SoundSmith and when I got it back tried to sell it on Audiogon and eBay. I couldn’t give it away at a ridiculous low price so I kept it. I used the Hana in my new system for months and was relatively happy until I realized I wasn’t getting great sound compared to my digital side.
So I got the bright idea of switching back to the Clearaudio Virtuoso. Voila, the system came to life after break in like never before. 
Just shows how components are synergy related.

128x128rvpiano

@lewm 

Great minds again. 

To me "synergy" when it comes to HiFi equipment is trying to fix an error with a corrective error. If you have a system that is too bright you fix the brightness, not add a dull whatever. Matching equipment is very important especially when it comes to amps and speakers, cartridges and tonearms and cartridges and phono stages. 

@mulveling 

It seems I have developed the same illness. I am cartridge bouncing again trying to find that perfect cartridge. Problem is it may not exist and this gets expensive. I am looking for a cartridge with the dynamics of the Atlas, the detail of the MC Diamond and the output of the Signature Platinum. Next on the list is the Hyperion MR followed by the MSL Ultra Eminent EX. The MC Diamond is a keeper because it is hands down the best at smaller classical music like string quartets. The best overall cartridge I have had in the system so far has been the Soundsmith Voice, so I have high hopes for the Hyperion.

@rvpiano Your is one more story worthwhile adding to the threads about Third Party Services treating a Cart' in need of a professional service.

I am an advocate of this methodology to have a Cart' overhauled and returned to service.   

My Rebuild, that is in use at present, was compared to another Cart' on a few occasions. The first being demo'd at very low hours, followed by approx' 100 hrs  and at approx' 200 hrs of usage.

The Cart' has been demo'd in this same system on later occasions as well, especially against other Cart's that are temporarily available.

The comparisons were 'all' on the same TT>TA>System to a Cart' from the same Brand, that was the Brands TOTR model from an earlier era, this Cart' had less than a few hundred hours usage, at the first comparison.

The rebuild shared some added components that the TOTR Cart' has in use for the design.

The voicing was very similar on all occasions, and my own Cart' certainly become a very worthy contender at the approaching 200 hrs of usage demo', this was when both Cart's Bass Notes were extending to almost identical frequencies and were decaying in a almost identical manner, it was the Mid's and Highs that were most noticeable for having a difference to their voicing.

Silver and Aucurum Coils / Boron and Beryllium Cantilevers, as well as the Cart's Body Mass, will be quickly identified as being responsible for voicing variation.

What was learnt is that Cart's can take time to find their true voice, and my build choices were seemingly very much in favour to all who were at the demo's.        

Pindac, the number and breadth of the experiments you find time and assistance to perform in search of your personal vinyl Nirvana do astonish me.

I’m discovering an interesting phenomenon with my new setup.   
Years ago when I heard the same records as I’m listening to now I was very involved with the music.  As my set got  better and better, I enjoyed them less and less. Is it possible that with improved analog technology more and more flaws were revealed along with improved sound.  Now that I have a really good cartridge the sound is great but with those flaws removed, so I can again appreciate the music.

Just postulating a possibility.